Community Code of Conduct

45 posts Page 1 of 5
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Tue May 21, 2019 7:50 am
Hey everyone!

As we've marched onwards to the ever-looming release of 4.0, we've had a pretty constant trickle of new people, as well as old Torque hands returning to the fold, let alone the guys that have been trucking on this whole time.

With the continuing growth of the community, and some concerns of conflicting viewpoints, behaviors, and stances, I figured it was a good opportunity to set some ground expectations via a Code of Conduct.

We like to keep things pretty easy-breezy here as you all no doubt have come to appreciate, keeping the forums a open place for people to show off, post what they're working on, ideas and feedback as well as just discussions about whatever gamedev stuff. But the internet being what it is, sometimes opinions can clash, viewpoints can differ and tensions can raise to the point where things can get ugly.

Which means that while we'll strive to avoid needing to lean on it, the Code of Conduct will be kept here as a framework everyone can understand the expectations of interacting with the rest of the community and - in the hopefully unlikely event is not adhered to, moderation will be applied in accordance to these expectations.
  • We, as a community, are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of experience, background, history or characteristic.
  • Please avoid using any overly sexual, offensive, or insulting alias or nicknames for yourself or others that would otherwise detract from a friendly, safe and welcoming environment.
  • Please be kind and courteous. There's no need to be rude.
  • Respect that people have differences of opinion, and that every design, implementation, or choice carries considerations, trade-offs, and costs. There is rarely ever a perfect answer.
  • Please keep critiques constructive. If you are going to critique someone's work, ideas, or decisions, do it with topical and specific feedback so that they can improve. Unconstructive critiques don't help anyone better their work.
  • Insulting, demeaning or harassing anyone is not welcome behavior, whether in public or private conversations. If you feel you have been subjected to any of this behavior, please contact any moderator or admin immediately. Whether you're a regular or a newcomer, we care about making this community a safe place for you. If you have any lack of clarity about what might fall under those concepts, feel free to ask for clarification from the moderation team.
  • Likewise, any spamming, trolling, flaming, baiting or other attention-stealing/seeking behavior is not welcome.
In the hopefully unlikely event someone is found to have violated an aspect of the CoC, they will be provided a direct, specific warning, explaining what they have broken in terms of the CoC that the moderation has felt needed to be corrected.
If the user then goes on to violate the CoC again in a similar manner, not having shown any acknowledgement to their behavior or what they have done wrong, they will then face disciplinary actions as follows:
On their first offense, following a direct, written warning, they will face a 3 day suspension.
On their second offense, they will face a 6 day suspension.
On their third, they will face a 9 day suspension.
If they, after returning from suspensions go to violate the CoC for the 4th time, showing no interest in changing their behavior, then they will face a ban.

Anyone facing a suspension or ban is free to appeal this by messaging anyone on the admin or moderation team and their case will be reviewed. If it is found to not have been in violation, then the user can disregard the original moderation verdict. Otherwise, if found to have been a correct moderation action, then it is considered to be upheld and the user appealing will be informed of the decision so they may - if required - adjust their behavior accordingly.

If there is any element of this Code of Conduct that is unclear, feel free to ask for clarification. As mentioned above, if you feel any of these have been violated by a member of the community, contact the mods or admins so that we can take care of the situtation.

As said, I hope that everyone takes the intent to heart to create a welcoming environment for anyone that wants to make games(or heck, just people that find making games super cool - because it is!) so that we never need to lay down corrective or moderative behavior.

With that, I look forward to this community growing and becoming even more awesome!

-JeffR
Caleb
by Caleb » Wed May 22, 2019 4:48 pm
This will be appreciated!
bsisko
by bsisko » Wed May 22, 2019 9:26 pm
I second this code of conduct
Duion

by Duion » Thu May 23, 2019 11:20 am
It is a really bad idea to do something like this. I mean just after the big scandal of the Code of Conduct for Linux, which almost destroyed the Linux project, you try to do the same mistake here.

Basically all the points in the code are subjective interpretation and therefore are as good as no code of conduct at all. Additionally all the points have nothing to do with our project or what we are supposed to be doing here and this is work together and get things done. If it is only about being nice to each other, nothing ever will get done, as I have observed in communities that already employ such code of conducts.

I know you try to be nice in order to grow the community and such, but this does not work. As far as I know the number of people that came to our community from those politically correct other communities is zero and those who came are not users for Torque or game developers at all, but instead are just here to advertise their own things to gain members from this community and therefore are trying to make our community shrink. Therefore it is a really really bad idea to appeal to such an audience, since no matter how it turns out, there is nothing to be gained for us.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:09 pm
agree with this 100% to keep new users in with us we should not meet them with negatives but be positive no matter what, point them in the right direction if we can, and if we cant say something in a positive way then we dont say anything at all.

For example: New post about an idea that may not be possible we do not say "no that will never happen are you stupid no one will go for that they only do what they want to do and unless ur willing to devote your last breaths to this then you will surely die alone"

Instead a proper response would be: Wow i dont know if that would work but here are a few sources of where it may have been done in other engines or ive never heard of that being done im sorry i dont have any ideas
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:11 pm
It is a really bad idea to do something like this. I mean just after the big scandal of the Code of Conduct for Linux, which almost destroyed the Linux project, you try to do the same mistake here.

Basically all the points in the code are subjective interpretation and therefore are as good as no code of conduct at all. Additionally all the points have nothing to do with our project or what we are supposed to be doing here and this is work together and get things done. If it is only about being nice to each other, nothing ever will get done, as I have observed in communities that already employ such code of conducts.

I know you try to be nice in order to grow the community and such, but this does not work. As far as I know the number of people that came to our community from those politically correct other communities is zero and those who came are not users for Torque or game developers at all, but instead are just here to advertise their own things to gain members from this community and therefore are trying to make our community shrink. Therefore it is a really really bad idea to appeal to such an audience, since no matter how it turns out, there is nothing to be gained for us.
A bigger audience is always a good thing no matter what way you slice it. and on your point about interpretation it will not be down to one person so the interpretation point is invalid
Duion

by Duion » Thu May 23, 2019 10:03 pm
A bigger audience is always a good thing no matter what way you slice it. and on your point about interpretation it will not be down to one person so the interpretation point is invalid
Why? You did not make any argument. I can also easily disprove your statement, for example we do not need the audience of spammers, so in that case a smaller audience minus the spammers is far better.
agree with this 100% to keep new users in with us we should not meet them with negatives but be positive no matter what, point them in the right direction if we can, and if we cant say something in a positive way then we dont say anything at all.
Yes and if they do not belong here we can tell them to leave or do you want this place overrun with spammers? What are we supposed to do to spammers etc? Invite them all in and encourage them to destroy our community?
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:02 am
Why? You did not make any argument. I can also easily disprove your statement, for example we do not need the audience of spammers, so in that case a smaller audience minus the spammers is far better.
Higher audience no matter how much knowledge they have they can always incorporate some form of knowledge that we didnt already know, i mean your a big fan of open source yet want this to remain a closed community for some reason. A larger audience is what this community needs, more activity which in turn will generate better topics for perspective new comers.
Yes and if they do not belong here we can tell them to leave or do you want this place overrun with spammers? What are we supposed to do to spammers etc? Invite them all in and encourage them to destroy our community?
spammers can be controlled, like they are on every other website that deals with higher traffic, i could help this site block spammers more effectively if they want. And i wont charge for my time, im a member of this community and i want to see it prosper. Spammers can be blocked with some simple techniques.
Duion

by Duion » Fri May 24, 2019 2:15 am
How is a code of conduct supposed to do anything in regards of achieving a higher audience? I'm pretty sure it will do absolutely nothing in that regard, if anything it will rather reduce the audience since it adds more artificial restrictions and banning of people which will further reduce the possible audience.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:40 am
How is a code of conduct supposed to do anything in regards of achieving a higher audience? I'm pretty sure it will do absolutely nothing in that regard, if anything it will rather reduce the audience since it adds more artificial restrictions and banning of people which will further reduce the possible audience.
Well right off the top of my head it would make it a more welcome place for new comers and would stop anyone from treating new comers poorly, meeting people with scornful remarks not only puts them in doubt of expressing their ideas on the forum again but also makes them leave the engine because they cant get help in the one place that is supposed to provide it. Shooting down peoples ideas shouldn't happen either
45 posts Page 1 of 5