Torque 3D! On a mac, is it worth the time?

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.
20 posts Page 2 of 2
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:34 pm
Many people in the Torque 3D community would find you to be a semi God if you would do this. Full mac support for T3D is something many mac users want.
LuisAntonRebollo
DEVGRU
by LuisAntonRebollo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:56 pm
Sorry, at this moment i cant help on OSX port :(

If i can get access to some MAC in next months i update my position on this problem.
lowlevelsoul
by lowlevelsoul » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:07 pm
So at what stage is the Mac port currently at? What sort of help is required to get it running?

I've been a Torque user on and off for the last decade or so and would really like to start using it once again, especially on my main computer which is a nice little MBP. I'm willing to put some time into helping, as the other alternative is to write my own engine/editing suite to make my game idea(s). I'm more than capable of that, but I think less time would be spent helping out with T3D in the long run.

I'm not a big fan of Unity and having worked on an Unreal Engine project on console a while back - that was enough to swear me off it for life.

I have a couple of decent windows machines that I can use, but as I said, my MBP is my main machine here at home and would like to stick with working on OS X.

** edit **

I've cloned the latest repository for GitHub and run the generate projects command. However, Xcode refuses to open any of the Full projects.
Gibby
by Gibby » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:22 am
I've had T3D+AFX running in OSX for about a year, all the way up to 3.6.3. I had been missing some of the shaders in the past but they're all updated and working well in OpenGL now. I've been trying to get 3.7 to run with the intention of writing a T3D/OSX wiki but I've run into issues with an older version of xCode on my MBP. I have a huge non-game project in the works now and won't upgrade OSX/xCode 'til its delivered in a week or so.

What I can tell you is that the Project Manager is not likely going to work. I have in the past generated projects on the Windoze side [if there's a plist in your templates] and tweaked the projects till it ran. That approach hasn't worked for me as of late, but fortunately these days, you'll simply need to setup and run cMake to generate your xCode projects - pretty painless.
Once you have used cMake to generate the xCode project, you'll have to make sure you're using the Apple LLVM 4.2 compiler (not the GCC we used to use for TGE ) and running 'Latest OS X' in your build SDK. FWIW There's a couple of guys on the IRC channel that are compiling test versions for OSX, if you get stuck they're always really helpful.

Please give it a shot and post your results, working or not. I'd like to get an OSX how-to going and would welcome any help, especially from an experienced Mac-Torque user...
Hutch
by Hutch » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:24 am
@
Gibby
I've gotten it to compile with LLVM 6.0, so it should work with just a few modifications.
lowlevelsoul
by lowlevelsoul » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:24 am
..Lots of useful stuff..
Thanks for the tips, Gibby. Depending on if I have time tonight or not (I have book to finish and my publisher is nipping at my heels) I'll install CMake give it a go. I did download CMake last night, but saw posts about using the generate commands else where - so I figured I'd see if it was the path of least resistance.
Last edited by lowlevelsoul on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
LuisAntonRebollo
DEVGRU
by LuisAntonRebollo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:15 am
Hey BeamNG have get a Mac computer we can use for help on OSX port, but i need all posible help on this.

Can be a good idea to build a small team for this.
Gibby
by Gibby » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:25 am
@Luis: I'd be honored to help in anyway I can - llame me Pues!

@
lowlevelsoul
: So far there is no well-defined path to get T3D and OSX to work together, we've all been doing our best to get it going independantly which is so often the path of the Mac gamer...
Perhaps Luis has the right idea, let's get a team together and make this happen1
lowlevelsoul
by lowlevelsoul » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:33 pm
Gibby
- yeah, I found this out last night. I had to pop into the IRC chan to get some help on why I was getting an error with cmake. It looks as if the Mac version needs some significant work to be done to get to being close to usable - stuff doesn't compile and even if I could get the 3.7 rc candidate to build; running might be another issue all together.

I'm sorely tempted to just use TGE 1.4 and write new render pipeline for it - I used it this evening to implement a simple version of the memory manager that I had proposed in the C++ forum and ran some tests. The Stronghold starter.fps demo was interesting to see in action again. I got some really useful metrics and some interesting results.
Gibby
by Gibby » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:47 pm
Update:

Thanks to Hutch and the crew on IRC, I have been making headway. Seems the cMake approach has some issues with the 3.7rc but I've been able to get project manager to generate xCode projects.

@
lowlevelsoul
: Hang in there. I got a version of my 7DayFPS project working and performing nicely [50-60ish FPS with forest, precipitation, postFX and dozens of bots] with just a few features missing in late January [version3.6.2], and despite the many updates/enhancements to the OGL side, it's likely we'll have it running in less time than it would take to write a new rendering layer. FWIW you should also look into what's happening with Torque6 as it's basically what you're considering - T3D networking, T2D modularity, new rendering layer...

@lls+all: Even if you only have time to download and check the install process, we have so few mac users that any help is valuable, especially in making sure that it'll be Prêt-à-Porter for as many mac versions as is practicle...
20 posts Page 2 of 2