Troubleshooting 3.9

jjkarau

Hey there folks,

I've been around using Torque3D and its predecessors for a good 6 years here (I'm the guy behind Shadow Sovereignty which you've probably seen here on the forums the past year), and I've run into something with 3.9 I've never seen before.

Screenshot%202016-07-21%2001.30.52.png?raw=1

Isn't that odd? No errors, no popups, just looks like that.

I still have 3.8, no issues of that kind. It's the same between DX9 and DX11, OpenGL only shows black.

Any suggestions on something to check?

Thanks!

Jonah

That's weird. It looks like bad rendering. I don't have that problem, and I am using 3.9 Release. Neither the full version that I compiled myself from source or the binary download from the wiki show this problem.

Do you have the Release version of 3.9 or Dev Branch? What is your hardware?

This is what I get in 3.9:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac349/ChrisLong333/screenshot_001-00000.png

I am using the release version of 3.9, specifically the binary, not compiled myself.

As for hardware, Intel HD Graphics 4000 with an Intel Core i7 @ 2.4GHz and 8GB of RAM. Graphics isn't much but it runs everything I need to do well, even Skyrim at 22fps on decent settings. And it shouldn't be a GPU issue if only 3.9 is giving this error, -none- of my other programs except Fallout 4 cause issues, FO4 being a driver crash ... but that's to be expected with this system.

What gets me most is there are no error files or anything of any sort showing up from this going on and system diagnostics that I've run show nothing.

EDIT: I've also noticed that every level shows duplicates in the main menu for 3.9. Dunno if it's related.

EDIT2: Trying to close 3.9 -does- end up with a non-responding and force closing every time. Not the case for 3.8.

EDIT3: It may have been a corrupt download, looking closely I noticed the zip I downloaded the first time is 1MB too small from what it's supposed to be. I'll try a fresh download and unzipping.

Okay, definitely have no idea how ... could be my ISP who has always had issues, but my initial download corrupted somehow. I just downloaded fresh and started it up, all seems to be normal! :)

I apologize for taking up a forum posting with this, but I've never seen corruption do that before, it's always either broke a program entirely or threw errors for me, lol

EDIT: Ugh okay ... seems to be an issue if you rename the Torque3D-3.9-WinBinaries folder that 3.9 lies in.

EDIT2: Or not ... when I extract to a folder on my desktop, all is well. As soon as I move it, it breaks.

I'm having none of these problems. On the binary version, I extracted the contents out of the Torque3d-3.9-WinBinaries zip folder into a brand new folder I named Torque3D-3.9-bin with no problems. I even did it across disks.

I use 7-zip to extract zip files, not the default windows zip program. Maybe you could try that?

I actually use WinRAR, not the built-in zip program. I really hope it's not that, because then well money not well spent lol

UPDATE: Okay so changing which program I extract with does not help. Something is getting corrupted for some reason and I can't figure out what. I did also try without antivirus running, and downloaded without firewall, no avail.

This is a problem introduced with deferred shading, the mac port suffers the same problem. I am looking into this tomorrow as i have an old PC with the same family Intel GPU. If anyone else having this issue, can you please post your console log so i can see driver versions with OpenGL.

Interesting. You get the same result on Mac as my screenshot?

I say interesting because using OpenGL I get nothing but a black screen, it's with DirectX 9 and 11 that give this weirdness.

I'll try running it once and grabbing the console for you.

@jjkarau

You said if you extract to a folder on the desktop is fine, but if you move it, it breaks.

What happens if you extract straight into a different directory? Like, say C:/gamedev/testing or whatever? Does that also work? Or only if it's on the desktop?

Hm. I'll go ahead and reproduce the issue again in what I've experienced and pop a log up here. It may be a weird once-in-a-lifetime thing but having it on record would be good just in case.

I'll also try Johxz's suggestion after that.

I downloaded Johxz's bin, and D3D9 runs properly. Renamed folder doesn't break it.

D3D11 prompt 'failed to set a light manager' at start then crashed.

OpenGL shows nothing and crash directly.

But they are not issues since I am using a obsoleted low end laptop with I5-2520, Intel HD3000 and Win7 64bit. It support only D3D9.

Johxz's bin works really nice for me so far. Not only does moving it not break it, but DirectX 9, 11, and OpenGL all work gloriously without any issues. The only possible issue with that bin is that in the editor i cannot move in character views (1st or 3rd). But I doubt that's related.

The only possible issue with that bin is that in the editor i cannot move in character views (1st or 3rd).

Because it have bullet physics enable, forgot to mention that :lol: To move the player you need to click from the menu on physics them start.

That mean that bullet physics is working as suppose to be ;)

http://i.imgur.com/RAqoOd6.png

That was a clean T3D v3.9 that have enable Dx9, Dx11, OpenGL and Bullet. So you tested all that and it's working ;)