how setting languages (countries) into a T3D project

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.
28 posts Page 2 of 3
rlranft

by rlranft » Sun May 15, 2016 4:03 pm
Don't download "Visual Studio 2012" - download "Visual Studio 2012 Express".

Or 2013 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=44914

The Express editions are free. Sounds like you're downloading the Pro version, which indeed has to be licensed after 30 days. It will also compile under Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition (also free, and open source), but there are some "slightly-less-than-simple" changes that have to be made because DirectX has been rolled into the Windows SDK and some debugging functions have been deprecated.

And there are other options - they're all a bit more difficult than just using Visual Studio, but they are there: read the wiki and ask questions here (in the Torque3D/C++ forum is best). The engine is written in C++, after all - you can compile it with pretty much any C++ compiler with some tweaking depending on the runtime libraries it depends on - but setting up the "make file" (the file that tells your compiler of choice what order to compile and link) is a process that is fairly complicated (right now, there is a method using CMake described in the wiki). For instance, you'll note that it is possible (with some hammering) to compile T3D on Mac or Linux as well - and VS is not even possible in those environments.
...error: '_get_current_locale' was not declared in this scope|
...error: '_swprintf_l' was not declared in this scope|
...error: '_get_current_locale' was not declared in this scope|
...error: '_swprintf_l' was not declared in this scope|
||=== Build failed: 4 error(s), 0 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 0 second(s)) ===|
And that's what I was talking about when I mentioned runtime libraries. The headers that come with Code::Blocks don't define those functions using those names, so you'll have to do some research to see what the equivalent functions/methods are called in Code::Blocks' implementation. It would be best to add conditional compilation based on a preprocessor define so that your changes are used based on the compiler used - this is done for various VS versions and for Apple builds all over the engine.
keltwookie
by keltwookie » Sun May 15, 2016 5:09 pm
Don't download "Visual Studio 2012" - download "Visual Studio 2012 Express".

Or 2013 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=44914

The Express editions are free. Sounds like you're downloading the Pro version, which indeed has to be licensed after 30 days. It will also compile under Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition (also free, and open source), but there are some "slightly-less-than-simple" changes that have to be made because DirectX has been rolled into the Windows SDK and some debugging functions have been deprecated.
Of course I downloaded an 'Express' edition (still updating BTW), and you have to register anyway to obtain the product code to remove the '30 days' stuff....
About the 2013 release: 6,5 GB, no way to download it and the 'wdexpress_full.exe' is an internet install binary,
About the community thing: same case as above: Internet install binary, furthermore, impossible to install it on Win7 32 bits (my current OS), it apparently need IE10 (MS everywhere :roll:)
And there are other options - they're all a bit more difficult than just using Visual Studio, but they are there: read the wiki and ask questions here (in the Torque3D/C++ forum is best). The engine is written in C++, after all - you can compile it with pretty much any C++ compiler with some tweaking depending on the runtime libraries it depends on - but setting up the "make file" (the file that tells your compiler of choice what order to compile and link) is a process that is fairly complicated (right now, there is a method using CMake described in the wiki). For instance, you'll note that it is possible (with some hammering) to compile T3D on Mac or Linux as well - and VS is not even possible in those environments.
Will try, but honnestly, I'm very disapointed: Already 1 week I'm stucked with this, what a waste of time !
And that's what I was talking about when I mentioned runtime libraries. The headers that come with Code::Blocks don't define those functions using those names, so you'll have to do some research to see what the equivalent functions/methods are called in Code::Blocks' implementation. It would be best to add conditional compilation based on a preprocessor define so that your changes are used based on the compiler used - this is done for various VS versions and for Apple builds all over the engine.
I've already said that I'm not a coder, I have the envy to learn of course, but what you suggested me is to dive deeply into the code.
Well, here are my conclusions: More the time goes, more I hate Kro$oft and I swear Win7 will be the last version of Redmond's products I will use except (in the worst case) via a Virtual Machine with a Debian GNU/Linux hosting
And sadly , and if I can't sort this out quickly I will definitively give up T3D !

Any way, and as for irei1as, many thanks for your time an patience.
rlranft

by rlranft » Sun May 15, 2016 10:57 pm
Of course I downloaded an 'Express' edition (still updating BTW), and you have to register anyway to obtain the product code to remove the '30 days' stuff....
About the 2013 release: 6,5 GB, no way to download it and the 'wdexpress_full.exe' is an internet install binary,
About the community thing: same case as above: Internet install binary, furthermore, impossible to install it on Win7 32 bits (my current OS), it apparently need IE10 (MS everywhere :roll:)
Okay, so, dropping a one-off Google email address in a registration page to get a free product is problematic. And using VS2012 Express is problematic. And coding is problematic. And you roll your eyes, apparently :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: . Got it.

So, it looks like this is not the engine for you. Probably better head over and pick up Unity. I'm guessing it has better built-in I18n support anyway.

Welcome to game development!
keltwookie
by keltwookie » Mon May 16, 2016 1:59 am
Sir,

Really sorry if I'm not sold to MS and if I don't want it more than necessary on my system, really sorry if I spent a year to choose a game engine to finally notice I chose the wrong one (as you said). Indeed, it's the first time I see such a software which need to compile something (except on Linux Oss and it become very rare) before properly using it... Really sorry if I'm not a coder, and really sorry too if I got a low internet connection and if I spent a entire week to downlad>test>download>test>download again, etc... , did read tons of documentations (which appears obsolete the most of the time), without having a viable result.
... Except the last suggestion from you talking about using CMake, and oh miracle, it works !

But honnestly, sir, I confirm: T3D is apparently for an elite group.and I'm thus not concerned anymore (I bet I'm not the only one).

And sir, for your information, Unity is far from beeing the only alternative to T3D, even in the world of open source softwares.:)

I wish sincerely good luck to T3D.
Very Best Regards

~keltwookie

*Dont look for me, I'm already out.*
deathbravo
by deathbravo » Mon May 16, 2016 4:13 am
can you come back here later to tell me what you find as alternative of T3D?
I was looking for opensouce 3d game engine for months, it will be very helpful if you could give some advice.
rlranft

by rlranft » Mon May 16, 2016 3:15 pm
But honnestly, sir, I confirm: T3D is apparently for an elite group.and I'm thus not concerned anymore (I bet I'm not the only one).
You are obviously not the only one. Torque isn't for everyone - there is a high learning curve and you have to be prepared to roll up your sleeves. Before you "spend a year" looking for an engine you should have done a bit of research on devmaster.net : http://devmaster.net/devdb/engines - though it is all just opinions - to help you narrow the field before putting time into trying out those you think are most suitable.

Yes, there are many alternatives. Which you choose should be directly related to your ability, especially if you need to "sort this out quickly." I tossed Unity out there (NOT open source, by the way) because it can be run on many more platforms than Torque and because it probably has better language support (as I said when I recommended it) - which was the whole basis of this thread.

Well, the real question is: Are you looking for open source, or are you looking for free? Do you really need to modify the source - and if you do, do you know how? As Keltwookie has discovered, your ability to complete a task does not have any bearing on whether the task is necessary or not. To build a house you must have certain skills - the fact that you don't have those skills and still need to build a house does not make those skill requirements go away.

Yes, these days most game engines come with a pre-compiled executable. So does this one. If you change source code you MUST recompile. In ANY engine. However, changing scripts is no big deal - Torque recompiles scripts on load. How other engines handle this varies.

To continue the construction analogy, to say that you don't want to use a hammer from brand X because there are requirements and would rather use a rock because you don't have to accept those requirements is silly. One should always try to use the best tools available to do the job, and as much as everyone hates it Visual Studio is about the best IDE out there. Working with inferior tools makes it harder to achieve the same quality at the end of your path - yes, you can drive a nail with a rock but a hammer is much better.

And since this is a free and open source engine it meets many peoples' requirements. Additionally, I'm not going to try to sell it to you - if it's not for you then that's just the way it is. Just remember - the next time you ask a question, don't get mad when the answer doesn't suit your expectations. Some things are just not simple and wanting them to be won't make them so.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Mon May 16, 2016 4:24 pm
I would also note that while @ rlranft is right that any changes the source code will necessitate SOME kind of recompile, you can also download the precompiled binaries from the last major release via the wiki, here: http://wiki.torque3d.org/main:downloads#toc4

That'll have the exe already and you can using the scripts and gui/world editors to work on stuf/test stuff out before needing to worry about diving into the source code.

Given that the internationalization stuff seems to mostly operate out of the script/gui editor side, the precompiled binaries should be sufficient to at least test things out.
rlranft

by rlranft » Mon May 16, 2016 9:44 pm
Sheesh - now I am curious enough to actually start fiddling with this. I know there was that one guy (the dude with the pig avatar) who managed to get his game working in Chinese, but I don't know how much of that was "screw it, I'll just use my own bitmaps" and how much was "hmm, I think I can actually use localized text."
deathbravo
by deathbravo » Mon May 16, 2016 10:42 pm
hi rlranft, where is the guy with a pig avatar? in this forum or the garagegame?
rlranft

by rlranft » Tue May 17, 2016 12:45 am
He was on the old GG forums. Here's a link to his profile page (you'll probably have to be logged in to see it) https://www.garagegames.com/account/profile/76736
28 posts Page 2 of 3