@ Jason Campbell
First workarounds in itself are bad, I mostly only do workarounds, when I don't want to spend more than one day on a feature or bugfix, but I know that in the long run, they will not be sufficient.
Let me give you some reasons why spawning another projectile is just a bad solution:
1. Costs more resources.
2. Does not account for material thickness.
3. Does not account for material type.
4. Does not recalculate the projectile speed and piercing power after penetration.
5. Does not account for different decals depending on material.
6. Does not account for different particles depending on material.
7. Does not account for material piercing resistance.
8. Does not account for different sounds depending on material on projectile.
And those are just the ones I could come up in 5 minutes, there will be more in the long run.
In fact the armor
already does it similar to spawning another projectile, so you just need to use that, which is even more reason to just use that instead of inventing your own solution.