Windows and Linux

tbarlow

Hi

I am wanting to setup 2 diff T3D Servers to see how they both work with my new project im getting ready to start but i want to know what ver of linux is better to start with right now im useing Debain 9 i belive it is and then what ver of windows should i use for the server side thanks.

Tj

Torque3D works on any Windows down to Windows XP and it should work on all halfway up to date major Linux distributions as well, I ran it on OpenSuse and Ubuntu, but had some issues with Debian, since Debian is usually very outdated when it comes to their packages etc.

So there should be no big problem, but with Linux Ubuntu is probably best supported, even though I would not recommend using it personally. I only compile on Ubuntu so my game will be compatible to the most Linux users, it is also what Steam supports.

Torque3D works on any Windows down to Windows XP and it should work on all halfway up to date major Linux distributions as well, I ran it on OpenSuse and Ubuntu, but had some issues with Debian, since Debian is usually very outdated when it comes to their packages etc.

So there should be no big problem, but with Linux Ubuntu is probably best supported, even though I would not recommend using it personally. I only compile on Ubuntu so my game will be compatible to the most Linux users, it is also what Steam supports.

Thanks for the reply what ver of Ubuntu is best to use Desktop or Server? thanks agian.

Terry

I always go for the latest Ubuntu LTS version, but only to compile my game with, since it should bring the best compatibility, personally I don't use Ubuntu. For Server it does not really matter what Linux you use I think, if it runs, it runs. The most problems only arise, if you have to compile your game on Linux for other Linux users, but otherwise you can use what you want, it does not really matter, if it runs.

For example you can host on Linux or Windows and play with people on different versions of Linux and Windows at the same time in network, I never experienced problems there.