Unable to join test server

aMoistKite

I have been trying to get a basic network test going following this tutorial and i have been unable to get it to work (they are on the same machine). The client just gets stuck saying "Sending Connect challenge Request".

I know it can't be a network issue since if i launch a dedicated server and a client using something like the full template I can connect to it just fine. Is there something the tutorial is missing?

At some point this feature was broken, maybe with the newest Torque version 3.10 or 3.9, don't know, I only know it was broken.

Don't worry networking still works fine, just not if you try to host and join from the same machine.

Maybe some port is blocked or so, I did not bother to try to fix it yet.

Why does what work?

All I know is that previously you could host and join multiple instances from the same machine and now with the latest version it does not work anymore. Don't ask me why.

If I test with the full game template (using the same compiled exe) I can run a dedicated server and join from the same machine. But when I do yhe same with my game (using a blank template) I can't connect.

Hmm then maybe you (and me) broke it in the game.

You can try doing a comparison with the full template on what is different. Sure the empty template is a lot different, but the server connection system should not be that different.

So there is your problem. I would use something else, either the full template or the new base game template if you want to hop on the latest trends, other templates are not that well supported.

Surely it is down to be something the tutorial I followed is missing and not because I am not using one of the default templates.