T3D Folder structure

Mitovo

Hi all,

Quick question...

Is it necessary to keep the "built-in" folder structure in T3D when it comes to level/map setup?

For example, I see there's an "art" folder, and a "core" folder, each of which seem to contain assets used in maps, etc.

However, is it feasible to, say, store each level/map with its own discrete folder structure under the "levels" folder?

So you might have (just as an example, not a literal setup/suggestion):

levels

>level 1

-->geometry

-->textures

-->terrain

-->scripts

>level 2

-->geometry

-->textures

-->terrain

-->scripts

etc... Would that work? I'm just not a fan of the default setup, where assets are split into different locations.

Thanks

Yes anything works, the only limit is your imagination.

I already do it that way, partly, I have general art assets to be re-used under the art/ folder and models that are level specific under levels/mylevel/*.

However if you want to do it always that way you may run into problems since you are likely going to re-use specific assets from some levels in other levels, therefore the art/ folder setup by default.

Yes anything works, the only limit is your imagination.

I already do it that way, partly, I have general art assets to be re-used under the art/ folder and models that are level specific under levels/mylevel/*.

However if you want to do it always that way you may run into problems since you are likely going to re-use specific assets from some levels in other levels, therefore the art/ folder setup by default.

I thought about that (models being used in multiple locations) and for that, I've considered having a sort of "global" or "shared" folder; this way extra HD space isn't used up with redundant assets. Would be something to be worked out and planned in advance, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it done in other games.

It you plant to do a commercial game it does not really matter, the folder structure is just for you to keep track of it. I saw some commercial game just put everything into a packed file where everything is releatively chaotic and every update would just get a new file. Do however you like.