importing LIDAR(X,Y,Z) data

scotty69169

Hi All,

I'm new to T3D. I'm looking into scanning some caves with a home made LIDAR system and importing the X,Y,Z data to create a game environment.

Has anyone gotten XYZ point data to import and show as a solid surface in a game?

Thanks for any help.

Scotty.

That's an interesting idea.

I'm thinking you'd probably have better luck importing the LIDAR data into a modeling app (I vaguely remember someone doing something similar in Blender) and trying to export a mesh from there into T3D. You'll probably need to write a custom class as well that handles actually rendering the points, which I'm assuming would exported as simple vertices. The objects in the T3D/examples folder would be a good starting point.

Hi Steve,

I did some research. DEM can be best described as a box placed over a section of the earth. A grid is placed in the box and the height at each point is output as a value in a stream of heights.

Because the LIDAR is scanning from one location. With a little math, it will spin around and send a stream of points(X,Y,Z) relative to the scanners location, for all the objects(points) the laser hits. The points are not a perfect grid. Imagine scanning a room from the floor. If you scan a wall with an open door. The wall points are all in a line. But the points measured through the doorway are all further away and show as higher than the points before and after it. This shows even more, as the angle of the scanner increases.

From all the advice so far. I need to find a modeling tool that can take (X,Y,Z) points and create a landscape.

Thanks,

Scott.

LIDAR?? Is this like DEM heightmap data? If so you'll need a greyscale bitmap and follow this tutorial http://docs.garagegames.com/torque-3d/official/content/documentation/World%20Editor/Tutorials/BuildingTerrains.html

• 2 weeks later...

Scotty,

Do you know how this x,y,z data is stored?

Is it stored as a ascii text file, a database file, a binary file, a custom mesh, or an object file.

This LIDAR company. Are they willing to divulge their file specs to you so you can examine them.

As for C++ Builder, I am still working on the problem. My database components in the RAD Tokyo , Berlin versions are not working, (They are the starter editions of the software) I won't have the money for the professional version until I pay off some other bills first.

However, I have C++ Builder 4.0 which database works extremely well.