Most efficient computer generated maps

Code_Man

I have for a while now been working on a game that uses tile based computer generated maps.

It uses static models arranged as tiles and rotated to proper angle.

However i have been wondering what might be the most performance efficient way to implement this.

I once thought of making the map one huge model, but seems collada doesnt like that.

Then i wondered if i could make larger pieces, such as a corridors as collada models, but then again many models will be used in the game.

Basically what i am asking is what the best tradeoff between model geometry and model instances performancewise is.

The bigger your models and the less textures you use the better. The limit is 65 000 vertices per model or so.

You have to decide where you make the tradeoff, but I think with tile based maps you will not run into performance issues, so you probably can ignore it.

The first performance problem you may run into using that method is, if you have too many individual static meshes.

You can just activate your metrics display and see where performance goes down, I usually set the graphics to all max settings and then just design the level until the FPS go below 60 FPS, then I try to optimize.