steering wheel

subabrain

Only idea right now is to make it a wheel, like the wheels on the vehicles, since they already steer into the direction the car moves.

Maybe you need to modify the code and/or model a bit, but the wheels already do what you need, so you need a 5th wheel on your car and replace it with a steering wheel and then somehow make it not have collision, so it does not interfere with the driving and physics.

I thought about this when I was making a jeep model and I believe the triggers are there but optional.

From the docs:

"Steering animation

Optional non-cyclic animation called 'steering' that animates from t=0 (full right) to t=0.5 (center) to t=1 (full left)."

So I think you could just add your animation to your vehicle's steering wheel and trigger with the default. I wish I had more time right now because I've been meaning to try this.

I dont know how much this adds https://github.com/yourarcade/T3D.WheeledVehicleResource

But @Jason Campbell seems to have the best approach, the steering angle is for the front wheels to turn, but you could use that same data to apply to your steering wheel itself either via animation or literally rotating the object on its mounted axis. Add a scale if needed (which you might) and you are done

I dont know how much this adds https://github.com/yourarcade/T3D.WheeledVehicleResource

But @Jason Campbell seems to have the best approach, the steering angle is for the front wheels to turn, but you could use that same data to apply to your steering wheel itself either via animation or literally rotating the object on its mounted axis. Add a scale if needed (which you might) and you are done

Hey, cool, that's my jeep in that screenshot.

I really thought that the optional steering option was for a steering wheel. That being said, it should still be able to trigger an animation of your choosing. I haven't had any time to attempt another try.

• 2 months later...