Change player character

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.
21 posts Page 2 of 3
Duion

by Duion » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:53 pm
Torque does not work this way, yes you can play animations on press of a button, but I found this to be broken, since you have multiple animations going at the same time and if you play another one, it can be that it does not play because some other animation higher priority is playing already like walking.

What I would do is make everything a weapon, even if no weapon is equipped, so you have a harvest weapon, a fishing weapon, a mining weapon etc with a proper item and animation and when you a mining for example, the mining is done on firing the weapon and the fire animation is just the pickaxe hitting and when the pickaxe does damage to the iron ore, it is transferred into your inventory or just onto the ground where it can be picked up.

You have to use the current Torque infrastructure that is a shooter design, otherwise you have to develop new engine features,but if you use existing engine features you hardly have to do any work.
Razer
by Razer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:26 pm
Thank you for your support.
Can i block character movement when some harvesting animation is playing ?
Should i start doing it in current version or wait for next version supposed to be more flexible with entities ?
Duion

by Duion » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:41 pm
Sure you can do that, you have the source code.
There already is a feature like that, it prevents you from sprinting when firing your weapon, you could try to extend that feature onto walking, but I don't see much reason to prevent movement when mining.
The mining is a weapon and when you move away you can no longer mine, so it forces you to stand still anyway. A melee weapon is just a gun with a projectile that does not fly very far.
Razer
by Razer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:11 pm
Sure you can do that, you have the source code.
There already is a feature like that, it prevents you from sprinting when firing your weapon, you could try to extend that feature onto walking, but I don't see much reason to prevent movement when mining.
The mining is a weapon and when you move away you can no longer mine, so it forces you to stand still anyway. A melee weapon is just a gun with a projectile that does not fly very far.
It's context actions, you start fishing and you can't move or strafe, only fishing animation is playing.
There is no binaries available for new entities ?
Duion

by Duion » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:19 pm
The upcoming Torque 4.0 version will have a new template with modular entities, maybe you want to wait for that and do something else for your proejct in the meantime. You can already try it out in the development branch.

But I would work with what is already there. Maybe search the resources on the old Garagegames forum, since most things have been done by others before and you may find a solution there for what you need.

For example I included a resource in my game to set image states manually, I use it for reloading, so I press a button and it will set my character to reloading animation, you could use a similar system for your actions, but I would stick with using the weapons templates for what you want to do.
Razer
by Razer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:56 pm
It's not shooting game i am interested, next version with entities looks more appropriate.
Is this some estimated date release for 4.0 preview ?
Duion

by Duion » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:44 pm
You simply use the development branch: https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D ... evelopment this is always the latest.
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:12 pm
the entity/component system is not really worked into the development branch yet, its still being worked on by Jeff.

In the meantime, you can push different action maps to provide context keymapping at almost any point you need to and pop them off again when you are done, there are of course design choices as well as pros and cons for each but I'm guessing you've at least covered the basics in your plans. At the very least you need an 'escape' key to interrupt your current action so that you can interact with whatever else is happening (even the most dedicated fisherman isn't going to ask an orc to stop attacking while he reels in a fresh bite)

Aso for animations, generally they are locked in until you specifically tell it to do another animation (enter stage left an entire discussion regarding blended animations).

You can tie these two things together, with context along with scheduling (for such things as mining different ores take different times to mine for example).

While entity/components are on the way these things are still possible with the engine in its current configuration, how well it works still depends on your animators' abilities to blend them in and out of each animation, and even with entity/component this is not likely to change a great deal
Razer
by Razer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:42 pm
the entity/component system is not really worked into the development branch yet, its still being worked on by Jeff.

In the meantime, you can push different action maps to provide context keymapping at almost any point you need to and pop them off again when you are done, there are of course design choices as well as pros and cons for each but I'm guessing you've at least covered the basics in your plans. At the very least you need an 'escape' key to interrupt your current action so that you can interact with whatever else is happening (even the most dedicated fisherman isn't going to ask an orc to stop attacking while he reels in a fresh bite)

Aso for animations, generally they are locked in until you specifically tell it to do another animation (enter stage left an entire discussion regarding blended animations).

You can tie these two things together, with context along with scheduling (for such things as mining different ores take different times to mine for example).

While entity/components are on the way these things are still possible with the engine in its current configuration, how well it works still depends on your animators' abilities to blend them in and out of each animation, and even with entity/component this is not likely to change a great deal
I am not sure about blending, because the engine is shooter, upper body is blending with upper animations, while i don't need this because it's not a shooting game i'm interested in. It's intern to the engine, and changing how blending works seems it could break some things.

All torque tutorials are shooter, not adventure action game. This is missing.
Razer
by Razer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:42 pm

I am not sure about blending, because the engine is shooter, upper body is blending with lower animations, while i don't need this because it's not a shooting game i'm interested in. It's intern to the engine, and changing how blending works seems it could break some things.

All torque tutorials are shooter, not adventure action game. This is missing.
21 posts Page 2 of 3