NEW : compiling , getting started

fLUnKnhaXYU

Hi , Im new here and hate to bother you all with this but,..

my OS = windows 7

over the past couple years ive experimented some with the TGE demos and recently the T3D 3.10 and 3.9 binaries.

i just got the T3D 3.9 from GIT

as I wish to learn to compile release executables , I have these first 2 questions .is codeblocks suitable or must it be visual studio 2015(community) ?

is it CMake or is Project Manager ready again ?

My only need for any compiler is to compile T3D release executables and at this time only for windows .

Thank You guys and gals.

Hi Duion , thank you for youre response .

the following is from a post made in Dec 2015 .

Running command: S:/dev/CodeBlocks/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f "S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild/Makefile"  VERBOSE=1 all
S:\.dev\cmake-3.1.0-rc2-win32-x86\bin\cmake.exe -HS:\dev\Torque3D-development -BS:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild --check-build-system CMakeFiles\Makefile.cmake 0
S:\.dev\cmake-3.1.0-rc2-win32-x86\bin\cmake.exe -E cmake_progress_start S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\CMakeFiles S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\CMakeFiles\progress.marks
S:/dev/CodeBlocks/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f CMakeFiles\Makefile2 all
mingw32-make.exe[1]: Entering directory `S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild'
S:/dev/CodeBlocks/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f Tools\CMake\CMakeFiles\collada.dir\build.make Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/collada.dir/depend
mingw32-make.exe[2]: Entering directory `S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild'
S:\.dev\cmake-3.1.0-rc2-win32-x86\bin\cmake.exe -E cmake_depends "MinGW Makefiles" S:\dev\Torque3D-development S:\dev\Torque3D-development\Tools\CMake S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\Tools\CMake S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\Tools\CMake\CMakeFiles\collada.dir\DependInfo.cmake --color=
mingw32-make.exe[2]: Leaving directory `S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild'
S:/dev/CodeBlocks/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f Tools\CMake\CMakeFiles\collada.dir\build.make Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/collada.dir/build
mingw32-make.exe[2]: Entering directory `S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild'
S:\.dev\cmake-3.1.0-rc2-win32-x86\bin\cmake.exe -E cmake_progress_report S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\CMakeFiles 
[  0%] 
Building CXX object Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/collada.dir/__/__/Engine/lib/collada/src/1.4/dom/domAccessor.cpp.obj
cd /d S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\Tools\CMake && S:\dev\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin\g++.exe   -DDOM_INCLUDE_TINYXML -DPCRE_STATIC -DUNICODE -D_UNICODE -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS /MP /O2 /Ob2 /Oi /Ot /Oy /GT /Zi /W4 /nologo /GF /EHsc /GS- /Gy- /Qpar- /fp:fast /fp:except- /GR /Zc:wchar_t- /arch:SSE2 -wd4800 -wd4018 -wd4244 -g /EHsc @CMakeFiles/collada.dir/includes_CXX.rsp   /W0 -o CMakeFiles\collada.dir\__\__\Engine\lib\collada\src\1.4\dom\domAccessor.cpp.obj -c S:\dev\Torque3D-development\Engine\lib\collada\src\1.4\dom\domAccessor.cpp
g++.exe: error: /MP: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /O2: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Ob2: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Oi: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Ot: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Oy: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /GT: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Zi: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /W4: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /nologo: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /GF: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /EHsc: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /GS-: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Gy-: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Qpar-: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /fp:fast: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /fp:except-: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /GR: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Zc:wchar_t-: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /arch:SSE2: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /EHsc: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /W0: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: unrecognized command line option '-wd4800'
g++.exe: error: unrecognized command line option '-wd4018'
g++.exe: error: unrecognized command line option '-wd4244'
mingw32-make.exe[2]: *** [Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/collada.dir/__/__/Engine/lib/collada/src/1.4/dom/domAccessor.cpp.obj] Error 1
mingw32-make.exe[1]: *** [Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/collada.dir/all] Error 2
mingw32-make.exe: *** [all] Error 2
mingw32-make.exe[2]: Leaving directory `S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild'
mingw32-make.exe[1]: Leaving directory `S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild'
Process terminated with status 2 (0 minute(s), 2 second(s))
22 error(s), 0 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 2 second(s))

Id like to ask of someone to post an example of a successful build using visual studio or any other compiler . Id like to see the directories being accessed if thats possible . THANK YOU .

I'm on Linux so I'm afraid I can't help very much. I am using code::blocks in my current project and it works very well. Perhaps it is a directX thing. When I compile vanilla T3D from command line, I enter three commands but codeblocks helps to visualize the source code changes.

Here is johns VS 2015 tutorial

Here is the Linux codeblocks compiling

It would be nice if people didn't have to use just VS.

Sidenote: Set up a dual boot or VM and use Linux, its easier. :)

Not trying to be 'that Linux guy' but I too was reluctant to switch. I was content to stay with Windows 7, which is still a very good OS. When I built a new rig, I decided that it was the time. I chose Linux Mint because it was pretty similar to Win7. Here's the thing. Best choice I ever made in regards to tech. Everything is faster and easier. The OS seems to just get out of the way and let you be productive. Plus, I control my hardware. I was just sick of Microsoft continuing to lock stuff down and force feed me their crap. As a gamer, it was kind of hard to give up playing the newest games but the amount of games out now for Linux is amazing. I'll stop now, heh, but I'll end with that it is honestly easier then Windows now and I urge you to give Mint a try.