some questions on torque scripting

Scripting questions, discussions, etc
13 posts Page 2 of 2
Zarosath
by Zarosath » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:51 am
Oh yeah i remember hearing about that zip archive fix! I assume that is still on the GG site? I'll have to take a look at that, I wonder if it will be compatible with GNU/Linux and Mac being in zip format.. :) Thanks. Another way going about this could be client-side script checksums from within the c++ part of the engine.

I can definitely see how this open script issue can be a big turnoff to some but with the server/client architecture it does at least offer some level of security benefits combating that which brings up another small issue about the way T3D is presented, It would seem to me that the stereotype of T3D being geared towards making multiplayer first/3rd person type shooters does have some merit in my opinion despite its multi-genre capabilities, I think that was a bit debated in the past by potential torque users? Its just something I've noted.

I suppose the greatest appeal of torque for me is that these things fit my goals almost perfectly except i have a client/server openworld sandbox rpg in mind like a few already here.
Last edited by Zarosath on Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:47 pm
Stereotype definitely has merit. We're trying to remedy that ;)
Zarosath
by Zarosath » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:53 am
Well no wonder torque works with scripting, I knew it was based off tribes but i did not realize it has remained quite the same in a sense, According to wikipedia,
Both Tribes and Tribes 2 were designed to be highly modifiable by players. A scripting language built into the Torque Game Engine has allowed prospective "modders" to alter many aspects of gameplay
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes_2#Community

Anyway i'll stop bringing this thread up, I just find it fascinating in knowing more about the engine by knowing its history, its no coincidence torque seems so ideal for my goals now with knowing this, It carries many of the same game philosophies i have in mind. XD
13 posts Page 2 of 2