Crash in current development branch, on MatInstance::isInstanced()

Expanding and utilizing the engine via C++.
33 posts Page 3 of 4
TorqueFan
by TorqueFan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:08 pm
@
Azaezel
Okay you have given me a LOT to take in in the span of a single posting. I was wondering what had changed that was making me have to set the 'usePostFx' to true during renderWorld() calls using the D3D11 build( or have the model not display at all ).

The problem is, though, when using the postfx( which is a must-have now ) the GuiObjectView's background is not transparent. Is this the "background quad brightening crap" of which you speak Az?

@
rlranft
The things that Az are looking into will seal the deal I believe moving forward for 3.9 and beyond. I'd like to ensure that we can solve this 'background quad' issue ( or whatever's causing the background of the view to not be transparent ) before posting up the GuiObjectView resource.

Those features I've described I have working in 3.8 and the latest 3.9 development branch( other than the background not being transparent for D3D11, but that's not as a consequence to any changes I've made ).
Azaezel
DEVGRU

by Azaezel » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:14 pm
TorqueFan
by TorqueFan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:31 pm
@
Azaezel
Any chance you've had any look at 'da list' lately Az? Particularly the "background quad brightening crap"?

With the forward momentum around T3D 3.9 ->4.0, I've taken an interest in updating all of my resources into module form. Still a fly in the ointment, though, as I hadn't figured out what is going on with the postfx/stateblock on the GuiObjectView class.

If you get a chance to take a look or make any suggestions I'd sure be appreciative. It's been a thorn in the side for some time now, and I'd love to complete this work on the class so it can be shared with the community!
Azaezel
DEVGRU

by Azaezel » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:52 pm
Well, i know Jeffs looking into unintialized variables via a one of his tools, and Hutch and Timmys mac work turned up some oddities with stateblocks for what that's worth that might bear fruit, though presumably that's only on the opengl side of things... On the GuiObjectView + playgui blend... haven't gotten too much farther in the research there. (darned gamedev getting in the way of ... gamedev), but I suspect it's at least partly fog related for what that's worth.
TorqueFan
by TorqueFan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:03 pm
As promised, I am appreciative of your insights Az ;)
TorqueFan
by TorqueFan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:20 pm
@
Azaezel
- I noticed that the GuiTSCtrl from which the GuiObjectView is derived has undergone quite a few significant changes for DX11.

I am going to explore the option of creating another entirely new class based off of GuiTSCtrl from which to derive my updated GuiObjectView. This way we don't have all of the necessary GuiTSCtrl rendering stuff(which is used by the actual PlayGui) bumping heads with the needs of the GuiObjectView's rendering code.

Wish me luck!
TorqueFan
by TorqueFan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:33 pm
Was just about to dig into that GuiTSControl when I realized the 3.8(DX9) version of GuiTSControl was nearly identical to the 3.9(DX11) one. The 3.8 GuiTSControl works under DX9 (no background quad thing), so that's a no-go.

Unfortunately, the issue is much more deeply rooted in the DX11 rendering code(it would seem). I thought I might be able to prevent the GuiObjectView from becoming deprecated, but it appears I am the only interested party.

@
Azaezel
: If nothing else, could you pass along the information to those mighty tinkerers of the DX11 code? Basically after 3.8 the GuiObjectView can't be rendered without the background quad problem, which effectively makes the class unusable under DX11. It's a shame, I have extended the class A LOT and even built character creation GUI's all around it. Months of development that will forever be stuck in 3.8 and DX9 without the GuiObjectView being correctly fixed for DX11.

EDIT: Further testing is required, but your insight on 'fog' might have just paid off...I was perusing this thread and included your example "restore fog setting" in my GuiObjectView's render code. Again, more to test, but atm it appears this fog gClientSceneGraph's fog data might have been the culprit all along - (At least for GuiObjectViews blended with the PlayGui, still seeing the bg quad problem in GuiObjectViews rendered prior to PlayGui).

EDIT 2: Okay, the fog data was causing GuiObjectViews blended with the PlayGui to show a bright tri in the background. The relevant sections on gClientSceneGraph's fogData in the GuiObjectView's renderWorld() code posted on page 2 of this thread will fix that problem. This makes the class at least usable over PlayGui!! However, the background of the GuiObjectView can still not be made transparent in any case.
Azaezel
DEVGRU

by Azaezel » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:17 pm
https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/pull/1691 relevant just slid across the desk today, actually.
TorqueFan
by TorqueFan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:59 pm
Ah sweet, nice to see others still have interest in the future of the GuiObjectView class! I applied the proposed frustum fix, thanks for the head's up. Still unable to render a transparent background, though at least the fog data fix makes it usable. Basically end up with a semi-transparent light grey background, so worst case scenario I just am forced to layer a darker layer behind it. Much more restrictive than complete transparency, but at least workable ;)

Most importantly, it appears it will be in a solid enough state to polish up and share as a resource with that bright 'fog-tri' fixed. No ETA just yet on that, as I'll need to carve out the time to type out a proper explanation of all the updates. :geek:
Azaezel
DEVGRU

by Azaezel » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:53 pm
Well, to be clear, the fix itsself needs some additional tlc, but does seem to be pointing towards the area of mangle at least, so there's that.
33 posts Page 3 of 4