T3D 3.7 Crash Heap Corruption

Expanding and utilizing the engine via C++.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Mud-H
by Mud-H » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:13 pm
I have been porting my TorqueLab project to T3D 3.7 and since that, the game crash everytime I quit after a mission has been loaded. Yesterday, I spent countless hours trying to fix it with no luck... The crash don't happen when using the stock T3D Full template, it only happen when my TorqueLab editor is installed. I tried the same version on my previous code (pre 3.7) and it run fine. The crash occur right after the quit(); call and I couldn't figure what is causing it. I'm familliar with C++ and basic debugging but this time is something I have never experienced which seem to be called Heap Corruption.

I tried to find information about what is causing the crash and the only reference I found is gLightingProgress. I'm not sure how to proceed to debug such crash so if anyone can point me to the good direction it would be really appreciated... What I could do to examine the crash deeper, I tried with the dumpUnflaggedAllocs thing and I got nothing (but I really don't know what I was doing...). Is there a way to get more data from the crash, I'm using VisualStudio 2013. (Tried with 2010 since some research made me think that it could be related to VS 2013).

I have attached 2 screenshots from VS 2010 debugging showing the callstack and some watchs (In the #2 you can see the gLightingProgress references). With the exception of that quit crash, everyting run fine and never crash.

Let me know if there's more usefull information I could share.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that this is with Stock T3D 3.7 code with no changes at all.
http://mud-h.com/miscweb/t3dforum/Crash ... rash_1.jpg
http://mud-h.com/miscweb/t3dforum/Crash ... rash_2.jpg

Attachments

2015-06-29 14_49_50-GLab (Debugging)_3.jpg
2015-06-29 14_49_50-GLab (Debugging)_3.jpg (168.68 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
2015-06-29 14_46_46-GLab (Debugging)_2.jpg
2015-06-29 14_46_46-GLab (Debugging)_2.jpg (163.21 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
Mud-H
by Mud-H » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:02 am
I have been reading about how to debug that kind of memory corruption but still haven't figure exactly how to get the cause... I have try with WinDbg and GFlags but not sure how to use it well yet... Anyway here a more detailled report of what happen. The debugger breaks 10 times and then it exit normally. The 8 firsts seem to be related to the gLightingProgress and the 2 last about gTerminateLighting

Here's a custom report describing a bit what those 10 breaks are: (====> = line where it break)
Break #1

Code: Select all

/* * If this ASSERT fails, a bad pointer has been passed in. It may be * totally bogus, or it may have been allocated from another heap. * The pointer MUST come from the 'local' heap. */ ===> _ASSERTE(_CrtIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData)); //-------------------------------------------------------------- pUserData 0x111dc3c8 {GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll!float gLightingProgress} void * //-------------------------------------------------------------- Console: Program: ...abT3D\My Projects\GameLab\game\GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll File: f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\dbgheap.c Line: 1322 Expression: _CrtIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData)
Break #2

/* get a pointer to memory block header */ pHead = pHdr(pUserData); /* verify block type */ ===>_ASSERTE(_BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID(pHead->nBlockUse)); //-------------------------------------------------------------- pUserData 0x111dc3c8 {GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll!float gLightingProgress} void * pHead GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll!0x111dc3a8 {pBlockHeaderNext=0x00000000 <NULL> pBlockHeaderPrev=0x00000000 <NULL> ...} _CrtMemBlockHeader * nBlockUse 1 int //-------------------------------------------------------------- Console: Program: ...abT3D\My Projects\GameLab\game\GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll File: f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\dbgheap.c Line: 1328 Expression: _BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID(pHead->nBlockUse)
Break #3, #4

_RPT3(_CRT_ERROR, "HEAP CORRUPTION DETECTED: before %hs block (#%d) at 0x%p.\n" "CRT detected that the application wrote to memory before start of heap buffer.\n", szBlockUseName[_BLOCK_TYPE(pHead->nBlockUse)], pHead->lRequest, ===> (BYTE *) pbData(pHead)); //-------------------------------------------------------------- pHead GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll!0x111dc3a8 {pBlockHeaderNext=0x00000000 <NULL> pBlockHeaderPrev=0x00000000 <NULL> ...} _CrtMemBlockHeader * //-------------------------------------------------------------- Program: ...abT3D\My Projects\GameLab\game\GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll HEAP CORRUPTION DETECTED: before Free block (#0) at 0x111DC3C8. CRT detected that the application wrote to memory before start of heap buffer.
Break #5

/* Error if freeing incorrect memory type */ ===> _ASSERTE(pHead->nBlockUse == nBlockUse); //-------------------------------------------------------------- pHead GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll!0x111dc3a8 {pBlockHeaderNext=0x00000000 <NULL> pBlockHeaderPrev=0x00000000 <NULL> ...} _CrtMemBlockHeader * pHead->nBlockUse 0 int nBlockUse 1 int //-------------------------------------------------------------- Program: ...abT3D\My Projects\GameLab\game\GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll File: f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\dbgheap.c Line: 1399 Expression: pHead->nBlockUse == nBlockUse
Break #6

/* remove from the linked list */ if (pHead->pBlockHeaderNext) { pHead->pBlockHeaderNext->pBlockHeaderPrev = pHead->pBlockHeaderPrev; } else { ===> _ASSERTE(_pLastBlock == pHead); _pLastBlock = pHead->pBlockHeaderPrev; } //-------------------------------------------------------------- _pLastBlock 0x00616ce8 {pBlockHeaderNext=0x00000000 <NULL> pBlockHeaderPrev=0x0061a188 {pBlockHeaderNext=0x00616ce8 {...} ...} ...} _CrtMemBlockHeader * pHead GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll!0x111dc3a8 {pBlockHeaderNext=0x00000000 <NULL> pBlockHeaderPrev=0x00000000 <NULL> ...} _CrtMemBlockHeader * //-------------------------------------------------------------- Program: ...abT3D\My Projects\GameLab\game\GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll File: f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\dbgheap.c Line: 1414 Expression: _pLastBlock == pHead
Break #7

if (pHead->pBlockHeaderPrev) { pHead->pBlockHeaderPrev->pBlockHeaderNext = pHead->pBlockHeaderNext; } else { ===> _ASSERTE(_pFirstBlock == pHead); _pFirstBlock = pHead->pBlockHeaderNext; } //-------------------------------------------------------------- _pFirstBlock 0x156d0e38 {pBlockHeaderNext=0x0d824f08 {pBlockHeaderNext=0x0d80fa98 {pBlockHeaderNext=0x0c731c60 {pBlockHeaderNext=...} ...} ...} ...} _CrtMemBlockHeader * pHead GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll!0x111dc3a8 {pBlockHeaderNext=0x00000000 <NULL> pBlockHeaderPrev=0x00000000 <NULL> ...} _CrtMemBlockHeader * //-------------------------------------------------------------- Program: ...abT3D\My Projects\GameLab\game\GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll File: f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\dbgheap.c Line: 1424 Expression: _pFirstBlock == pHead
Break #8

void __cdecl _free_base (void * pBlock) { int retval = 0; if (pBlock == NULL) return; RTCCALLBACK(_RTC_Free_hook, (pBlock, 0)); ===> retval = HeapFree(_crtheap, 0, pBlock); if (retval == 0) { errno = _get_errno_from_oserr(GetLastError()); } } //-------------------------------------------------------------- retval 0 int _crtheap 0x00600000 void * pBlock GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll!0x111dc3a8 void * //-------------------------------------------------------------- Critical error detected c0000374 GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG.exe has triggered a breakpoint. First-chance exception at 0x77D5EA0B (ntdll.dll) in GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG.exe: 0xC0000374: Un segment de mémoire a été endommagé (parameters: 0x77D94270). Unhandled exception at 0x77D5EA0B (ntdll.dll) in GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG.exe: 0xC0000374: Un segment de mémoire a été endommagé (parameters: 0x77D94270).
Break #9 and #10

After same break #1 and #2 happen but with new pUserData which refer to gTerminateLighting pUserData 0x111dc3c4 {GameLab_OPTIMIZEDDEBUG DLL.dll!bool gTerminateLighting} void * 2 breaks are on those line but refer to break #1 and #2 for more info: _ASSERTE(_CrtIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData)); _ASSERTE(_BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID(pHead->nBlockUse)); Then the game exit normally
Sorry for bad formatting but should provide more details if someone can help... (Hard to read with those blocks... I have attach a text file showing the full report. Well can't attach text file so here a link to full text: http://mud-h.com/miscweb/t3dforum/Crash ... SHINFO.txt)
Mud-H
by Mud-H » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:33 am
I think I figured it out finally. With my last report I discovered that the issue was about gLightingProgress and gTerminateLighting so I reviewed how I used those in script and I think my mistake was that I was storing those variables like prefs... Once I commented the $SceneLighting::* export of my game base the crash was gone.

The 2 script globals are: $sceneLighting::terminateLighting and $sceneLighting::lightingProgress.
I think because $sceneLighting::terminateLighting was store as true and loaded as true, the code never terminate the lighting or something like that... (it seem to do nothing in the code.)
Anyway, I don't really care now that the crash is gone.
buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:41 am
Oh gosh. Thanks for doing that research! One thing that I really believe is that we should try to make the engine bulletproof from scripts i.e. unless you write an infinite loop in scripts, you shouldn't be able to cause a crash. I know that's an unrealistic goal but we can at least head in that direction, so I'm going to log this as an issue for future reference.
Mud-H
by Mud-H » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:57 pm
Sound like a good idea, there's might be a lot of work to make it bulletproof but we would get there with 1 fix at a time :)
Also thanks for logging it as an issue, it make my time lost not useless...
5 posts Page 1 of 1