Modifying terrain during gameplay

Expanding and utilizing the engine via C++.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
saindd
by saindd » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:30 am
The editors all run in-game... they don't seem to be a separate application or have any kind of baking/processing code. So, in theory, it's possible to create a weapon (or vehicle, or anything else for that matter) that can modify the terrain during gameplay, right? I'm asking this because i'm interested in having explosions that affect the environment.

Also, would it be possible to have a weapon that creates structures, like the polygon editor?
LukasPJ
Site Admin

by LukasPJ » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:39 am
This is not a resource, so I'm moving it to C++.
saindd
by saindd » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:12 am
Sorry, didn't notice this.
Johxz
by Johxz » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:41 pm
may be is not the answering what you are expecting, but try to use t3d and do something first then come to that ;)

btw check this link maybe is useful https://www.garagegames.com/community/f ... hread/1670 https://www.garagegames.com/community/f ... ead/9293/2

so it is possible. You need to dig more in the subject.

Try to search about Deformable 3D Environment or Voxels
saindd
by saindd » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:09 pm
I did saw the research and demos by Bill Vee on T3D and Polyvox, but since the engine already has terrain manipulation built-in, without voxels, i wanted to experiment doing those modifications instead. (which probably is just vertex displacement on a mesh, but where is it persisted to?)
Johxz
by Johxz » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:02 pm
Just to discard what are you looking for, you what something superficial, or something more like red faction?

If you don't know red faction... here is a video. Obviously no too deep :D

buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:17 am
There was a resource to do this back in the TGE days. I don't remember the specifics how how you had to modify terrain, but one significant part of it was the fact that Players cache collision information. So if you modified the terrain underneath a Player, then the Player wouldn't notice until they walked a little way, refreshed their collision cache, then fell to their untimely end. Actually I've just realised it was an exact implementation of Wile E. Coyote.

So yeah, if you end up doing something like this, remember to check for Players near your modification and nuke their working collision set or something.
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:05 pm
The core of it (and terrain has undergone several revisions, so the older resources won't work. make sure if you find one it's tagged for t3d) is terrains are (short version) a grid. If I recall correctly, prior resources added a second, ghosted grid as opposed to a straight file lookup which contained alterations which were then applied over the non-ghosted ones. An analogy would be taking a rigged model and applying vertex transforms to animate it. (somewhat simpler though, since you only have the Z value to manipulate, with the x/y being fixed points on the grid). That help any regarding conceptualization, at least?
Johxz
by Johxz » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:39 am
9 posts Page 1 of 1