I can't control Head and Look animations

Expanding and utilizing the engine via C++.
26 posts Page 2 of 3
noemen

by noemen » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:16 pm

The game starts with the dummy in stage 1, but if I call the Fire button, the dummy will go to stage 2 and then shoot the shooter (When you shoot or shoot, you will go back to stage 1). And I open the Iron Singht button or doll will go to stage 2 and will be waiting for the firing command (although I am still pressing the aim button).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q65ISL ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

In GTA5 you don't have to look at how the camera is positioned, but rather an animation. See what the doll starts with empty hands (not in inventory slot 1) ...
When you have a weapon it is not in stage 1 (previous drawing), but when you shoot or you aim it goes to stage 2.
Another nice thing is that when you ride a vehicle you can also change the "hands on vehicle" stage to the "gun aimed and ready to shoot" stage. Try to imagine that we are in the Old West,
where there are no vehicles are horses and cars ... Now imagine that I am sailing a horse; there will come an opportunity that I tried to shoot at the enemy (I'm still on the horse, galloping ...),
I'd draw a gun and shoot the bad guy.

In short, this is a very important step ... My game will be a time when vehicles are cars and horses. If you put this in view, when I put the same system in a vehicle it will be much easier.
Last edited by noemen on Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Duion

by Duion » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:23 pm
Yes that should be easy, most of it is already in the engine as I said, the difference with my Iron Sight implementation is just, that I don't have a proper third person iron sight animation, since I was too lazy to make one and that you can shoot without aiming in my game, so all you need to do is to make a third person iron sight animation and make it so you cannot shoot when not in iron sight aim mode and finally that if you attempt to shoot, then it will automatically switch to iron sight mode.
noemen

by noemen » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:35 pm
Yes that should be easy, most of it is already in the engine as I said, the difference with my Iron Sight implementation is just, that I don't have a proper third person iron sight animation, since I was too lazy to make one and that you can shoot without aiming in my game, so all you need to do is to make a third person iron sight animation and make it so you cannot shoot when not in iron sight aim mode and finally that if you attempt to shoot, then it will automatically switch to iron sight mode.
I will use the Look animation in iron sights. Since Torque3D is already started in Look mode ... I'm trying to put Look as an animation that needs to be called to start (as you see in GTA5, I need to shoot (or aim) for Look and Head be enabled). I can't implement this using TS, so I'm asking for help.
Duion

by Duion » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:22 pm
You are thinking too complicated, what you start with is creating a playermodel and animations where he is not holding any weapons.

Then you mount a weapon and when holding a weapon you can give the player a different set of animations or just leave the animations like in the stage without weapons and just mount the gun to the hand.

Then when pressing aim mode you will mount a different weapon image that will have aim animatoins.

Just look at this:
https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D ... ged.cs#L36

You can see that each weapon has its own set of animations and if you test it out ingame, you will see that the player will have different animations depending what weapon you are holding.

The only difference to what you want is that there is no set of animations where the player is not holding a weapon, this is what you need to add.
TorqueFan
by TorqueFan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:40 pm
Looks like Duion has got you set in the right direction here, @
noemen

The problem is that when a newcomer is looking at all of this it can be a tad bit overwhelming trying to decipher how the imageStateAnimations work. In the case of noemen, I do believe he might benefit from a step by step guide on this precise topic. I've got some things going on with my family right now(it is the weekend after all), but when I get back on here later I intend to do exactly that for him. It's been done in the past for me around other topics and I empathize with him. Sometimes pointing someone at the relevant information just isn't quite enough.

Although from the outside looking in it might appear to be 'too much investment of your personal time' to help that person...when it's all said and done, the easier we can all make it for any person to meet their full potential using Torque the more approachable our engine becomes. Not to mention we can reference this topic again later if it comes up again. Cheers, I'll be on here later to check on progress and offer what assistance I can!
Duion

by Duion » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:44 pm
Well this is just a combination of language barrier and difficult to understand state machine system.

He is probably working with or looking at the default soldier, but this is not a good thing to start with, it is too high quality visually and regarding animations etc. This leads to people not understanding the basics. In a normal shooter you are always holding a weapon, so there is no animation for not holding a weapon.

I'm still suggesting to remove the default soldier and force people to build their character from the ground up, since then people would start with what noemen wanted, a character not holding or aiming a weapon, then they would have to add a weapon and add an aim animation and they would already be almost there what he wants as final result.
TorqueFan
by TorqueFan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:58 pm
Well this is just a combination of language barrier and difficult to understand state machine system.

He is probably working with or looking at the default soldier, but this is not a good thing to start with, it is too high quality visually and regarding animations etc. This leads to people not understanding the basics. In a normal shooter you are always holding a weapon, so there is no animation for not holding a weapon.

I'm still suggesting to remove the default soldier and force people to build their character from the ground up, since then people would start with what noemen wanted, a character not holding or aiming a weapon, then they would have to add a weapon and add an aim animation and they would already be almost there what he wants as final result.
I think that you're onto something here, Duion. I don't agree that we should force people to build a new character from the ground up, because some sort of example should be included for newcomers. Also, depending on someone's level of experience it is highly likely they might be able to follow the code but not the animation process or vice versa. What I DO think that we should do is replace that default soldier with something more approachable. Let's just squash that so it's not an issue any longer.

I am going to take the initiative here and provide a replacement soldier and tutorial for all of this. I am going to encourage any community member to help out if they have input. This is in no way an attempt to hijack your thread @ noemen , but what I think we'll end up with here is an alternative to the existing messy introduction to player objects currently in Torque.

Forum Etiquette
Speaking of threads, this thread is in the wrong subforum here on the boards to begin with and when I piece together this information(hopefully all this weekend) I am going to start a new thread in the appropriate subforum and link to it here. For future questions, noemen, please be aware that forum etiquette(behavior) goes a long way to helping your issues be seen and dealt with in the correct manner. For example, this issue I've noticed you've posted up in a few different places here on the boards trying to get it looked at. In the future I'd encourage you to put up your thread(in the correct section of the boards) and use just that thread for help. Eventually someone should be able to help.

With that, I'm off to get ahold of the relevant links and information so that I can start up that 'New Community Soldier' idea here for us all to share.
noemen

by noemen » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:01 pm
I will follow your advice. And I also believe that many people (in the future) will be able to look at this topic and be able to understand a little how things work. I'm learning a lot from both of you ... I just have to thank you!
I analyzed how the other companies make their games and saw that they start first with character building and their settings (animation, gameplay and so on), then make the terrain and world. I already have my work scenario ... now I will take your advice and model a new character.

Duion

by Duion » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:06 pm
I planned to supply a new default character as well, but then realized that we would have to decide on a standard first how to do the character, since there are many ways you can do things and of course making a proper character is a lot of work.

However I found that Makehuman works just fine, most of the work is doing the implementation and optimization from there.

@ noemen
I suggest you throwing that default soldier overboard and download makehuman and make your own character.

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/

Then you try to export it to Torque3D and replace the default Soldier with it. This is very complicated and frustrating, so you need to do it step by step. Maybe make a new thread then I can give advice in case you get stuck. I wanted to make a tutorial long time ago, but I never finished my character so I never got to it.
TorqueFan
by TorqueFan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:12 pm
Keep trying what Duion is suggesting, noemen. It's definitely not going to be bad for you to get a grip on that process. Be sure you're having fun with it! In the meantime I am behind the scenes trying to get a completely new workflow idea and tutorial ready, one that won't require any sort of initial creation just a way to use what's out there and hook it into Torque.
26 posts Page 2 of 3