DX12, Windows 10, and Visual Studio 2015

Moderator: andrewmac

12 posts Page 1 of 2
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:55 pm
I decided to get with the times and I upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm now using Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition. I've upgraded Torque 6 to the latest bgfx with early DX12 support. Torque 6 is now functional with both DX11 and DX12. The performance isn't great in DX12 yet, but it's still a work in progress for the bgfx author. The below screenshots are running in Debug mode.

DX11:

DX12:
HeadClot
by HeadClot » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:50 pm
This looks great visually atleast. :)

Cannot wait to see what becomes of it.
Gav
by Gav » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:23 pm
Sorry for posting this here but I am not sure if this is an issue or my card (an old HD5770) is not supported.
The 18/9 build crashes complaining about an error at shader compilation (0x80004002 = No such interface supported?)

Code: Select all

Available Renderers:
   Direct3D 9
   Direct3D 11
   Direct3D 12
   OpenGL 2.1
Current Renderer: Direct3D 11
Compile Vertex Shader C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/../shared-modules/AppCore/1/shaders/rendering/combine_vs.sc Output: Error: 0x80004002
Failed to build shader.

Compile Pixel Shader C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/../shared-modules/AppCore/1/shaders/rendering/combine_fs.sc Output: Error: 0x80004002
Failed to build shader.

and so on. Should i open an issue on github?

EDIT: I am using Windows 8.1 64bit and VS2013
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:51 pm
@
Gav
: woo! my first bug report! At first glance it looks like a failure from inside the shader compiler. It's currently set to select the best API for the platform, so I'd be a little surprised if it picked Direct3D11 but can't compile shaders for it.

If you go to this spot in the code:
https://github.com/andr3wmac/Torque6/bl ... #L817-L821

You can comment out the first line and uncomment whichever renderer you want to try. See if there is any difference between them. I'll be honest I haven't tested the latest code on any platform other than my own computer so it's possible I introduced the bug in a recent commit. In a few hours I'll clone it on my laptop and see if there's any issues there.
Gav
by Gav » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:06 pm
With bgfx::RendererType::Direct3D9 shaders are compiling but i get this Image

I tested this also on a 9800GT (on D3D9 too) and the scene renders correctly but without the material shapes (the spheres).
But i guess this issue is unrelated with the first one since the 5770 is a D3D11 capable card.

EDIT: I forgot to write that the terrain plugin did not compile because of a missing include at Terrain.h
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:32 pm
Cool :D that screenshot is not as scary as it looks. I use RGBE compression to pack HDR color values into an RGBA8 buffer and thats what it looks like when it hasn't been decoded and tonemapped. Can you post a console log?
Gav
by Gav » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:40 pm
Ofc

Code: Select all

//-------------------------- 9/19/2015 -- 00:39:02 -----
Console trace is off.
Adding path expando of 'AppCore' as 'C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/../shared-modules/AppCore/1'.
Asset Manager: Failed to scan declared assets in directory 'C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/../shared-modules/AppCore/1/assets'.
AssetManager::addModuleDeclaredAssets() - Could not scan for declared assets at location 'C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/../shared-modules/AppCore/1/assets' with extension 'asset.taml'.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Video initialization:
   Activating the BGFX display device...
   Setting screen mode to 1024x768x32 (w)...
   Creating a new window...
   Acquiring a new device context...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Available Renderers:
   Direct3D 9
   Direct3D 11
   Direct3D 12
   OpenGL 2.1
Current Renderer: Direct3D 9
Asking to load DDS!
Asking to load DDS!
OpenAL Driver Init
OpenAL Driver Init Success
Adding path expando of 'Console' as 'C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/../shared-modules/Console/1'.
Warning: (c:\users\admin\desktop\torque6-master\src\io\resource\resourcemanager.cc @ 883) ResourceObject::construct: NULL resource create function.
ResourceObject::construct: NULL resource create function for 'lucida console.ttf'.
@@@ Console::create function called
Adding path expando of 'FreeViewCamera' as 'C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/../shared-modules/FreeViewCamera/1'.
Adding path expando of 'ExampleRoom' as 'C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/../shared-modules/ExampleRoom/1'.
Adding path expando of 'Skybox' as 'C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/../shared-modules/Skybox/1'.
Module Manager: Cannot load explicit module Id 'Editor' as it does not exist.
Adding path expando of 'MaterialExample' as 'C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/modules/MaterialExample/1'.
Importing mesh..
Generating material vertex shader..
Generating material pixel shader..
Generating material skinned vertex shader..
Compile Vertex Shader C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/cache/modules/MaterialExample/1/./assets/sphereMaterial_vs.sc Output:
Compile Pixel Shader C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/cache/modules/MaterialExample/1/./assets/sphereMaterial_fs.sc Output:
Compile Vertex Shader C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/cache/modules/MaterialExample/1/./assets/sphereMaterial_skinned_vs.sc Output:
Could not locate texture: C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/modules/MaterialExample/1/./assets/models/emissive_mask.png
MaterialAsset : Failed to load texture.
modules/MaterialExample/1/main.cs (27): Unable to find function Skybox::load
modules/MaterialExample/1/main.cs (28): Unable to find function Skybox::enable
Connection established 0
Con::execute - 0 has no namespace: onConnectionAccepted
Removing path expando of 'AppCore' as 'C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/../shared-modules/AppCore/1'.
MaterialExample::destroy function called
Removing path expando of 'MaterialExample' as 'C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/modules/MaterialExample/1'.
Removing path expando of 'Skybox' as 'C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/../shared-modules/Skybox/1'.
Removing path expando of 'ExampleRoom' as 'C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/../shared-modules/ExampleRoom/1'.
Removing path expando of 'FreeViewCamera' as 'C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/../shared-modules/FreeViewCamera/1'.
@@@ Console::destroy function called
Removing path expando of 'Console' as 'C:/dev/Torque6/projects/06-Materials/../shared-modules/Console/1'.

About the first issue, i found this so it might be a BGFX problem
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:06 am
Okay, cool. Ill setup a win 8.1 test environment and see if i can get it fixed up.
rlranft

by rlranft » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:02 am
But why aren't you allowing the user to select the desired renderer via script at launch?
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:09 am
rlranft wrote:But why aren't you allowing the user to select the desired renderer via script at launch?

Rome wasn't built in a day :P it's not a design decision, I just haven't got around to it.
12 posts Page 1 of 2