Terrain cells disappearing

Materials, textures, lighting, postfx
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Duion

by Duion » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:41 am
Occasionally I get the issue that sometimes terrain cells disappear meaning they are not being rendered anymore, this issue depends on the location where I stand and on rotation where I look.
There are certain spots on the terrain where it happens, it seems to change when you change the terrain geometry.
Here is an example how it looks normally:
Now I rotate the view a bit and some terrain cells disappear from being rendered:

So far I just changed the terrain geometry of the terrain so long until those spots did not occur anymore, but this cannot be a long term solution, so maybe someone here got an idea what the issue is.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:24 pm
Not sure I've ever seen that behavior before.

Can you upload your heightmap for that terrain somewhere so we can try replicating the problem?
Duion

by Duion » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:52 pm
I could, but the problem is, it does not happen anymore for some reason.
Maybe it is because I removed the forest, since it was just for testing.
This phenomen happens mostly when I'm starting to shape a level when the terrain is not smooth everywhere yet.
And then I usually change the level so long until those glitches all disappear, but I will remember making a save when it happens the next time.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:51 am
I actually managed to spot this happening for a brief moment last night when trying out the terrain textures stuff, but it seemed to be EXTREMELY particular, I couldn't really figure a pattern to it. Implication is culling is going pearshaped, and it seems fairly rare.

So yeah, if you spot it happening again, what it'd suggest doing is doing a save on the terrain/level, and then making a camera bookmark where it's happening and upload the whole level/terrain deal up so we have as good a test case as possible. I'll try and keep my eye out for the same.
Duion

by Duion » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:11 am
I have a suspicion that it happens much more if you have extreme terrains, like very steep walls that shoot up almost vertically.
Since this happens mostly in the beginning of doing a terrain, since then you did not smooth out everything perfectly yet.
5 posts Page 1 of 1