Mountains in the background

subabrain

• 1 month later...
Custom skyboxes out of Terragen are wonderful and can match HD photography when done right. They can function as a distant terrain AND skybox all in one.

Ditto on this, though at least last time I looked there was no push-button solution to get skyboxes out, and it required a little fiddling.

I could not find a solution for ready to use skyboxes for Torque as well, even premade ones I downloaded often needed a lot of fiddling to find out in which slot to put each skybox texture and additionally sometimes you need to mirror some skybox textures or all of them, since other programs seem to use other formats for them.

I think it has to do with openGL vs DirectX standards.

Custom skyboxes out of Terragen are wonderful and can match HD photography when done right. They can function as a distant terrain AND skybox all in one.

Ditto on this, though at least last time I looked there was no push-button solution to get skyboxes out, and it required a little fiddling.

More like a LOT of fiddling. Terragen is quite complex in it's presentation with a steep learning curve if you go it alone as I did.

No need for stitching software with the six camera scheme I learned to use. They look fantastic in Torque even at 1024X1024.

Well it can even be impossible if you do not know that eventually some or all of the images have to be mirrored in image editing software first.

I recently ported over skyboxes where I had to mirror all images by the x and y axis, to make them work and even after that I had to fiddle a lot to find out in which slots to put them.

In one skybox I made myself with manual stitching in Gimp, I had to mirror only the bottom texture to make it fit.

The easiest way to make skyboxes is to make a panorama, stitch it and then fill the top and bottom with blank color, this saves a lot of work in stichting and fiddling.