3.9 ambient scale and brightness

Materials, textures, lighting, postfx
17 posts Page 2 of 2
Duion

by Duion » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:59 pm
The gamma in 3.8 was in the middle of the slider and in 3.9 as well, I let it in the middle default settings, since this looks to be the equivalent to it, I checked before if it looks similar.
The normal maps you cannot see much in the screenshots, but they are broken.

Regarding the performance I could not tell, seemed to be a little better, but not much. I could notice significantly less polygoncount, so this should impact performance in some way positively. I will make more detailed tests for that later.
Nils

by Nils » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:10 pm
Sorry, I have been "away" too long, still catching up with the loads of new & replaced code.

The global for gamma has been there a long time, true. What I meant are these:
$pref::Video::Brightness
$pref::Video::Contrast

Probably totally not related though, but I would try to tinker with those anyway ;-)
Duion

by Duion » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:16 pm
I already implemented sliders for those and set them to default values, brightness = 0 and contrast = 1 which is similar to the old settings. The issue we have here has nothing to do with those values.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:06 pm
Duion wrote:Regarding the performance I could not tell, seemed to be a little better, but not much. I could notice significantly less polygoncount, so this should impact performance in some way positively. I will make more detailed tests for that later.

The jump from prepass to deferred will reduce the polycounts rendered, but offset the potential gains there with extra bandwidth costs in setting up the gbuffer and the like.

In your average scene, performance is likely to be about the same, but deferred shading scales better when adding more lights and post process heavy effects.
Duion

by Duion » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:30 pm
PostFX was on in my tests, could not notice performance gain. So depends on what you call "heavy effects"
Duion

by Duion » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:42 am
Azaezel wrote:https://github.com/Azaezel/Torque3D/commit/13f00ca79d0dadb47ae8d88498f459d9aef7dd01 the code we were going over regarding ambient.

I'm using this fix, but it still seems that the fog and specular is not taken into account. Ambient and light brightness seem to be pretty exactly the same they were before, but fog and specular are still too bright.
There is a night level that is almost black now, did not adapt the settings yet, but I noticed that if there is specular, things can shine extemely bright, even though the rest is hardly visible at all, here is a pic demonstrating the issue at one of the worst points:
http://duion.com/files/temp/screenshot_ ... -00004.png
Duion

by Duion » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:49 am
Az told me to try to flip those two lines here:
https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D ... sl#L50-L51

The issue seems to be gone now, but specular is a bit problematic to test, since there is some weirdness going on in the intensity sliders and you cannot change intensity when using a texture currently, but overall looks like a fix so far.
17 posts Page 2 of 2