Occulus Rift DK2 [ALSO: OpenVR]

Materials, textures, lighting, postfx
89 posts Page 8 of 9
MangoFusion
by MangoFusion » Sun May 08, 2016 8:31 pm
Ok guys another update....

I've fixed a problem with the eye transform being off. This was a case of the multiplication for the eye transform being in the wrong order - a big screwup on my part unfortunately. This has been fixed in the branch.

I'm currently working on overlay support and also fixing a slight issue with the camera code for some object render functions - basically since the DK2 stuff the camera view has technically been a bit off which is causing some things like the light flare to render incorrectly in some cases.

@
Hebblewhite

Should release a binary within a week or two with any luck. Depends how long it takes to fix this camera issue.
Johxz
by Johxz » Fri May 13, 2016 11:12 pm
nice magofusion! Keep us updated :)
Hebblewhite
by Hebblewhite » Sat May 14, 2016 11:14 pm
MangoFusion wrote:Ok guys another update....

I've fixed a problem with the eye transform being off. This was a case of the multiplication for the eye transform being in the wrong order - a big screwup on my part unfortunately. This has been fixed in the branch.

I'm currently working on overlay support and also fixing a slight issue with the camera code for some object render functions - basically since the DK2 stuff the camera view has technically been a bit off which is causing some things like the light flare to render incorrectly in some cases.

@
Hebblewhite

Should release a binary within a week or two with any luck. Depends how long it takes to fix this camera issue.

Much appreciated! :D
MangoFusion
by MangoFusion » Sun May 15, 2016 12:57 am
Time for another update...

I've finished basic support for steamvr overlays - these are the overlays you can see in either the dashboard or overlaid on top of the scene. They'll usually remain present even if the HMD looses tracking status.

You can use these to implement basic GUI overlays and such. AFAIK they don't interact with the scene itself, so I might have to make a separate but similar object for that - or you can just use whatever 3d gui solution is the rage for t3d these days.

As mentioned previously still working on fixing the camera so certain effects work properly in stereo.
MangoFusion
by MangoFusion » Wed May 18, 2016 1:36 am
Time for another update....

I've changed the scene & gfx code so there's a notion of a head matrix position. This is intended to be mainly used for the diffuse camera transform to calculate metrics - so stuff should appear the same LOD and whatever in both eyes.

My current attention has been drawn to the skybox & scattersky objects. Currently bth these objects have bad problems with stereo rendering.

Firstly the skybox moves around too much which can cause motion sickness. I've determined this is a problem with torque and not the stereo rendering code, as this issue can be seen when moving the camera up and down normally. This is quite bizarre and not how i'd expect a skybox to function.

Secondly the scattersky sun is duplicated in both eyes and doesn't appear to work properly with the stereo rendering. Quite honestly I have no idea how to fix this.

Thirdly the lens flare is similarly broken to the scattersky. This time the issue is with the projection into screenspace which causes the lens flare to be duplicated in both eyes. There was code to fix this for DK1, but since we now get the projection parameters and the camera offset from the openvr library, this workaround no longer works. So basically the lens flare code probably has to be rewritten.

As of yet I haven't noticed any other effects which have problems with stereo.
MangoFusion
by MangoFusion » Sat May 21, 2016 3:00 pm
Another update....

Finally have a fix for both the scattersky and the lensflare - turns out torque3d likes to assume you have nice on-center projections when changing the frustum distances, which in the case of VR is not the case which was breaking the scattersky. Similarly the lens flare code was not projecting the suns position correctly for both eyes, nor was it correctly taking into account the center of the projection when calculating the flare direction.

EDIT: While there was an issue with side-by-side rendering this should now be fixed. Separate render targets also work properly.

Of course there is a fair bit of optimization to do, but my interest at the moment is just to get stuff working and optimize the hell out of it later.

At the moment i'd like to get controller support in soon, but i'm aware at the moment this stuff isn't too accessible for everyone else, so i'm looking to make a sort of WIP-demo or perhaps just resurrect one of the old oculus demos. Keep your eyes peeled I guess!
MangoFusion
by MangoFusion » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:25 am
Time for another update...

Still working on controller support. Rendering of the controllers is in, just the interaction API needs to be worked on so you can interact with things in the game world. I'm also working on a new type of object from which the tracking origin can be based (for the controllers). This will probably also be incorporated into the player / vrplayer code.

Its come to my attention also that the reflection code is a little broken. Thankfully I finally have a solution for this and will be incorporating it into the repository soon.

I'm currently aiming to do a rebase of the branch to the latest development branch to incorporate fixes introduced to the current code. Also aiming to speed up development so I can get something incorporated into a pull request before the end of the month.
JackStone
by JackStone » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:36 am
Hi,

I have downloaded and compiled this repo, and it's all working, except for one minor issue.

I can build the repo, and run it in dx9 and dx 11 with no issues (except for some minor problem with controlling the camera).
However, when I add the openVR include files, I can build the engine, but running it gives me an "Unable to load game library" (mygame.dll") error.

This only happens when I include the openVR code. I've tried regenerating the project with dx11 included (and extended move) multiple times, multiple clean builds, etc.

I'm running windows 10 with up to date drivers, etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
MangoFusion
by MangoFusion » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:05 pm
@
JackStone
Make sure you have the openvr dll in your game folder.
JackStone
by JackStone » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:22 am
Yes, that's exactly what I was doing wrong, I figured that out after far too long! Thanks!
89 posts Page 8 of 9