Occulus Rift DK2 [ALSO: OpenVR]

MangoFusion

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to try out a DK2 today - my first time in any Rift. Less FOV than I expected, though I was trying out a web app which had an abominably low framerate, which meant I was trying not to look around, which may have made it feel more claustrophobic than it would have otherwise...

I'm super glad James decided to take this on! Excited to see how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Just an update for you guys here.

Most stuff is now working more or less correctly, though I'm currently doing a few tweaks with the settings, tracking down a memory leak, and incorporating a second camera matrix into the rendering code. Also need to add an on-screen floating canvas thing so dialogs and such can pop-up correctly in-game as currently the oculus essentially takes over the rendering of the whole screen while active.

Expecting to get this finished by next week.

• 1 month later...

Hey dude, just a heads up.

Was trying to get everything compiled last night for testing on the oculus since I got it to actually display crap as mentioned.

Running into errors in platform/input/oculusVR/oculusVRHMDDevice.cpp.

Looks like it has a problem with a fair bit of stuff not being defined. Stuff like ovrD3D9Config, ovrHSWDisplayState, ovrD3D9Texture.

Did a search but didn't turn up anything other than that particular file trying to reference them, so I think some files didn't get put up to the branch.

Also, looks like the latest SDK requires a name change.

the include header file "OVR_CAPI_0_5_0.h" is now "OVR_CAPI_0_6_0.h", if you wanted to accomodate for that. Just as a heads up.

If I've just missed something on those references, lemme know.

Alright, got it all set up and running and it seemed to work pretty nicely.

The only issue I could note is the head tracking seemed to not be fully smoothed. I dunno if that was just my headset not being calibrated, or if you saw that too. I vaguely remember you mentioning that though.

Otherwise it seemed to work pretty well.

Basically, the latest 0.6 SDK doesn't work. They've deprecated D3D9 in it, so it's not compatible with T3D currently. Using the 0.5 SDK works fine though. Going forward, we need to focus on getting D3D11 running to maintain compatibility, or go more in on OpenGL.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question. would you guys expect to hit an exception when no device is detected? I was trying to add the code without the actual hardware attached.

"Oculus VR Device Init:

Could not enumerate a HMD device. Simulating a HMD."

And then exception at OculusVRHMDDevice.cpp

mSupportedCaps = hmd->HmdCaps;

i hope to have a dev kit this weekend to see how it works and wanted to get a jumpstart on the code.

-Rob

hi. I hope this is the log you want. If there is another log that would be helpful, let me know. I have been ignoring the pdb errors... This is a straight build from github torque3d development. I made a sister build without oculus on the same code and it worked fine.

I was going to deactivate fmod and see what happens.

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'D:\BioCy\spear\Torque3D-development\My Projects\Spear_Dev\game\Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe', Symbols loaded.

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\lpk.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\usp10.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'D:\BioCy\spear\Torque3D-development\My Projects\Spear_Dev\game\Spear_Dev_DEBUG DLL.dll', Symbols loaded.

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\X3DAudio1_7.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\comdlg32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shlwapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.7601.18201_none_ec80f00e8593ece5\comctl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmm.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wsock32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ws2_32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nsi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d9.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\version.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d8thk.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\D3DX9_43.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleaut32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

Input Init:

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\XInput9_1_0.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cfgmgr32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\devobj.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dinput8.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\hid.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wintrust.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\crypt32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msasn1.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\uxtheme.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

keyboard0 input device created.

mouse0 input device created.

DirectInput enabled.

Done

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SlySoft\AnyDVD\ADvdDiscHlp.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\clbcatq.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\XAudioD2_7.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MMDevAPI.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\propsys.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OpenAL32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wdmaud.drv', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ksuser.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\avrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\AudioSes.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msacm32.drv', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msacm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\midimap.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wrap_oal.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dsound.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\powrprof.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x360c) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x23e4) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x2ae4) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x23c4) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x3718) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x69c) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x3680) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x23dc) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x2c48) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x2348) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x376c) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x1f50) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x2eb4) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wrap_oal.dll'

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wrap_oal.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x2a28) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x19b8) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x2ccc) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x27f0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wrap_oal.dll'

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'D:\BioCy\spear\Torque3D-development\My Projects\Spear_Dev\game\fmodex.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

'Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe': Loaded 'D:\BioCy\spear\Torque3D-development\My Projects\Spear_Dev\game\fmod_event.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

SFXFMODProvider - FMOD Ex API version: 4.44.31

SFXFMODProvider - FMOD Designer API version: 4.44.31

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x37f4) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x2918) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x8a4) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x2f80) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x2acc) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x2e30) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x21d0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x358c) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x9d0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x2434) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x2600) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x3158) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

Oculus VR Device Init:

Could not enumerate a HMD device.  Simulating a HMD.

First-chance exception at 0x11022206 (Spear_Dev_DEBUG DLL.dll) in Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000040.

Unhandled exception at 0x11022206 (Spear_Dev_DEBUG DLL.dll) in Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000040.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having issues with this with the release-3.7 branch merged in. Might there be code we need to update? Compiler errors:

Error error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "private: static class EngineClassTypeInfo > GuiOffscreenCanvas::_smTypeInfo" (?_smTypeInfo@GuiOffscreenCanvas@@0V?$EngineClassTypeInfo@VGuiOffscreenCanvas@@U?$_ConcreteClassBase@VGuiOffscreenCanvas@@@_Private@@@@A) C:\code\Torque3D\My Projects\37rc\buildFiles\VisualStudio 2012\projects\guiTSControl.obj

Error error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static class Vector GuiOffscreenCanvas::sList" (?sList@GuiOffscreenCanvas@@2V?$Vector@PAVGuiOffscreenCanvas@@@@A) C:\code\Torque3D\My Projects\37rc\buildFiles\VisualStudio 2012\projects\guiCanvas.obj

(Windows 7 x64, VS2012, no Oculus enabled.)

• 4 weeks later...

I got latest 3.7 and trying again with occlus sdk 0.5 all bone stock.

First I had trouble with the OVR.h includes. I resolved it by adding the sdk files listed in into new folder LibOVR\Include\Kernel. Was that bad?

Now I'm hitting this when compiling in vs2010

1>d:\biocy\37bin\engine\source\platform\input\oculusvr\oculusvrhmddevice.h(47): error C2039: 'HMDDevice' : is not a member of 'OVR'
1>d:\biocy\37bin\engine\source\platform\input\oculusvr\oculusvrhmddevice.h(47): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '*'
1>d:\biocy\37bin\engine\source\platform\input\oculusvr\oculusvrhmddevice.h(47): error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int

on this line:

OVR::HMDDevice* mDevice;

Im pretty noobie at this. Suggestions welcome.

-Rob

• 3 months later...

I am also getting this error when trying to run a build of T3D 3.8 using Oculus SDK 0.5:

Oculus VR Device Init:
  Could not enumerate a HMD device.  Simulating a HMD.
First-chance exception at 0x11022206 (Spear_Dev_DEBUG DLL.dll) in Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000040.
Unhandled exception at 0x11022206 (Spear_Dev_DEBUG DLL.dll) in Spear_Dev_DEBUG.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000040.

Causes game to crash right away.

Compile was flawless, not sure why this is happening.

Used to have Oculus working fine in 3.6.3 (with older 0.1.5 Oculus SDK) before all the changes for DK2.

But I would like to move my code up to 3.8, for many reasons especially any updated x64 stuff.

Ideas anyone?

• 3 months later...

Trying this repo as well:

https://github.com/Azaezel/Torque3D/tree/afx3.8_DX11

Any way somebody can take a look at the code under platform/input/oculusvr and see about porting that up to DX11? All the refs are for Dx9 in there...

Looking to have a modern build using latest Oculus sdk, which needs dx11, for testing in a dk2 and the new consumer units. Dx9 is no longer supported, as mentioned further up the thread... To stay current and be compatible moving forward that code needs a bit of tweaking...

I'm taking a look, tried replacing dx9 refs with dx11, I know it's not that simple, but am starting there and seeing if I can figure something out. I'm not hopeful though lol.

Anyone up for taking a look?

Thanks cheers

Mango's probably gunna have the best idea of what's required to get it up to speed, as he was the one spearheading the occulus work before.

I think he'd made a mention of looking at updating it once DX11 is rolled out, but I don't remember if that was a plan, or just musings. Either way, at minimum he'd be the best bet for posting a few pointers on what parts would need touching up to get it to hook with DX11.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, just a heads up - I'm updating the code to work with the d3d11 branch and the latest oculus SDK. Hopefully should have something working tomorrow.

I'm also looking into adding OpenVR support for the HTC Vive, but that is largely dependent on receiving a vive as this stuff is hard to test without the proper hardware.

Just an update...

I have the rift working with the 0.8 SDK and the d3d11 branch, but theres some weird problem rendering the left eye viewport. Not too sure whats going on here as the stereo rendering is setup identically so there must be some weird configuration issue with the oculus SDK.

Will keep you guys updated.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to chime in here. I am very interested in VR development, and even thought I don't own and Oculus Dev Kits, I have a preorder for the CV1 (Hopefully shipping soon). Once it arrives, I would like to volunteer to help get the latest Oculus SDK and CV1 supported in T3D.