Offline Light Propagation Volumes

Materials, textures, lighting, postfx
68 posts Page 4 of 7
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:58 am
I think we graduated from cornell box to sponza. Still have some work to do though:

Direct Lighting:

Direct + Indirect:
Steve_Yorkshire

by Steve_Yorkshire » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:40 am
That's some swanky stuff! :)
Nils

by Nils » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:54 am
Look what you have done; now I have a hole in my desk! :mrgreen:
jay1ne
by jay1ne » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:30 am
This LPV is looking good! When do you think it'll be usable for development?
buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:12 am
Looking so good! That last Cornell video was lovely. How does this interact with PBR?
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:08 pm
Doesn't yet. but there enough bits and bobs to modulate the projected data.
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:47 pm
@
jay1ne
: Not too much longer. I've gotta merge JeffR's improved voxelization, get it properly detecting material texture colors, sort out an issue with normals and then make sure my reflection angles are all correct. After that though, I think it'll be ready to be tested in some dev environments.

There's a ton of improvements and tweaks that can and will be done for awhile, but as far as being able to place a volume, generate some GI and use it in a game? Maybe a week away.

@
buckmaster
: I'm not personally diving in the PBR side of things, az has a handle on that. I did, however, lay all the groundwork and make material info available in the reflection shader, allowing az to shape the reflections in a more PBR-esque way. PBR really needs something to do glossy reflections that doesn't cost as much as dynamic cubemaps, and while this doesn't completely fill the void, it's a step in the right direction. I think the glossy reflections from this combined with a screenspace reflection shader should produce plausible glossy reflections for PBR, which is a HUGE part of PBR. PBR without reflections is like a sandwich without bread.
Hutch
by Hutch » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:43 am
lookin' great guys, seriously awesome job :)
buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:48 am
Is this the sort of thing that could be run in a background thread for realtime updates? *strokes chin* Also, for a final solution, would the goal be to allow a handful of volumes to be active at a time so you can cover your level geometry more tightly in several smaller volumes, and select the ones that are most visible?
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:57 pm
The two most expensive parts of it, the voxelization and light injection, could not *easily* be multithreaded, but they certainly could. Problem is, both touch the geometry and light lists, and light injection relies on raycast. None of the above are thread safe. I personally don't believe we'll ever see this go real time. We could probably do something like relighting, where you can call a command to reinject the lighting and propagate again. This would help for scene lighting changes, and perhaps calling it per-tick during a time of day sequence would be acceptable, but I really don't think we'll see it happening per-frame and being worth the cost.

We won't know for sure until some artists start playing around with it but I do believe the best way to utilize these volumes would be as you said, placing multiple volumes around the level and positioning/tweaking them until you get a result you like. They aren't an exact science, and sometimes you'll really like the results in one spot, but not in another and artist placed volumes will alleviate that.
68 posts Page 4 of 7