Water foam texture?

saindd

Would it be possible to replace it with an animated particle effect, using an atlas?

Not out of the box because it only loads a diffuse map for the foam. It's not a material so you can use for example a image sequence animation. You'll need to change some code for that.

Further doesn't T3D's image sequence animation make use of a square atlas map but a strip of images (horizontal). You can read about it here:

http://docs.garagegames.com/torque-3d/official/content/documentation/Artist%20Guide/Primer/torque_art_primer.html

Can sequence animations be used with particles?

Particles work with materials, so yes, that should be possible. You would really want to test it thoroughly though, I can imagine giving it a performance hit.

As for the foam, i'm not referring to the one that appears when the player hits the water, but also the one when water touches the terrain (e.g: beach).

Foam appears where the water touches the terrain. If the player hits the water, you may see bubbles and splashes; those are defined in the player datablock and are particles.

I think the Pacific Demo has some kind of wave foam by placing decals with transparency & animation near the terrain. But if you want animated foam on the water without particles you could use a flat mesh with sequence animation material as previously suggested.

I think the Pacific Demo has some kind of wave foam by placing decals with transparency & animation near the terrain. But if you want animated foam on the water without particles you could use a flat mesh with sequence animation material as previously suggested.

Nah, just cranks a few values up like so: http://imgur.com/a/z0Dzw fars an animation goes... not stock. though I'll note there are bits and bobs of the material features laying around to turn a horizontal strip into a frame by frame flipbook as it were.

I found a modified water shader i was experimenting in the past which adds a second foam layer to water. It has the default fields for direction and speed and I think it's easy to add sequence animation or at least fade it in-out. About the shoreline foam maybe we could do something similar but i really think this is beyond my skills :(

http://s16.postimg.org/5cnrpfhr9/foam.jpg i can share this if you find it useful.