GDK Package Manager Preview

7 posts Page 1 of 1
RasterRon

by RasterRon » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:08 pm
Another work in progress.. the idea is to support plain, encrypted or password protected zip files as well. :)

JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:02 am
Ooh, nice.

I'd gotten drag-n-drop importing of assets(shape files, images, etc), but I hadnt gotten zips and full packages working. That's very nice. Need to collaborate on this business for maximum awesomeness :)

Are the packages set up in a particular way? Since it sounds like it's distinct from just regular old zips.
RasterRon

by RasterRon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:54 am
Thanks Jeff and sure thing! :) Actually with this tool, I was planning to build it on a separate exe/process so it will be lighter on the engine source side and somehow easier to manage. I have seen your work btw and it looks great as well and almost complete. I thought T3D already has all of zip I/O functions so what issues are you having? Of course with this tool I will be using an external zip library.

Are the packages set up in a particular way? Since it sounds like it's distinct from just regular old zips.

I think this will depend on the user on how the content of package will be exported, but mostly and in the meantime it will follow current T3D folder structure.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:52 pm
Makes sense.

For the zip import, it's less 'issues' and more just that I hadn't gotten it in there yet. As you said, T3D's got pretty much all the needed guts for zip i/o, i just hadn't gotten to capitalizing on it yet.
RasterRon

by RasterRon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:58 am
Ok got it, sounds great! I also have not tested all T3D's built-in zip functionalities, but glad to know the game zip loading specific features works great now. :)
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:27 pm
Yeah, as far as i know, the only 2 issues that have come up is if you have a zipped folder alongside the non-zipped, t3d gets confused and tries to read them both, leading to duplications and lots of 'this already exists!'. The other is I believe there's some oddities with loading some resources like sound out of a zip, but I haven't tested that a ton yet.

For the most part though, it seems like it behaves, yeah.
RasterRon

by RasterRon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:41 pm
t3d gets confused and tries to read them both, leading to duplications and lots of 'this already exists!'.

I did notice that, but I think that is a good thing and setup when you have unique folders/files and mounted zips, it makes the asset directories clear and not confusing.

The other is I believe there's some oddities with loading some resources like sound out of a zip, but I haven't tested that a ton yet.

Richard's solution works great, you can try and check it out here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=517#p4619
7 posts Page 1 of 1