FreeRPG Project Thread

15 posts Page 1 of 2
hreikin

by hreikin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:18 am
Hi all,

Ive been using T3D for a while now and have finally settled on a project idea so figured i would make a thread to help track its progress and see what peoples thoughts are. I am still in the world creation/population stage but thanks to GG / http://www.torqueterrains.com / @
Ron Kapaun
/ @
Duion
this has been made an awful lot quicker.

My idea is to make a completely free/open source RPG, from assets to engine, i understand this is a pretty mammoth task but its something i would like to achieve. I dont plan any MMO aspects initially but if the project gains any actual traction i would probably consider something. You can view the FreeRPG Project Official Website here :

http://freergproject.wordpress.com

I have been having some trouble getting my project uploaded to github, im not sure if the repo is too large (4/5GB i think) for one push or if a file is causing an issue being too big, i have tried setting my postbuffer to 500M but it didnt help, i have tried a few things as suggested in this thread amongst others but nothing is really helping, i can provide verbose output but i would need to run it again and it takes 3 hours to fail :D

Below are a few screenshots of some of the work i have done so far, be warned it is very WIP and the level design has only been edited very slightly by myself on these levels so far, id show more but there really isnt that much to show right now. I would appreciate any comments/ideas/help thanks !

EDIT: Git repos are now available

Last edited by hreikin on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:14 am
Cool stuff! Love the use of the Tudor houses, though those lamps really need point lights attached to them! How are you using 5GB thogh?
hreikin

by hreikin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:27 am
thanks for pointing that out ill get it changed

i think it could be due to a rather large asset library and the fact i have every terrain from torqueterrains :D, my art folder is 3.83 GB :S is there a way i can minimize the size of it without having a separate place to download the assets ?
Duion

by Duion » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:29 am
Nice idea, but I think you did not realize the size of such a project yet.
You made some concepts and level design, now you only need programmers, scripters, modelers, texture artists, sound designers, musicians, animators, story writers etc...
What task do you plan to do on the game?
My advice would be to design a simple prototype and then start from scratch, this is what I did also.
In the beginning I had also the idea to just use other open source content and make my game with it, but I realized there is not enough content in a constant quality to make a game with it, so I started producing almost all my own.

However, maybe I could offer you some cooperation with this project and support you with a better and unique art style, if you really want to do this project.
hreikin

by hreikin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:24 am
Thanks for the advice, and all the assets/levels ive already used :D i do have quite a large task ahead of me but when i get stuck into something i kind of "binge" and then only do that in my free time so im still feeling hopeful . My plan at the moment is to finish designing a few more levels and then i was going to connect a few worlds and whatever else i can while i figure out the actual "how to" of "how to make an RPG".

I would be very, very happy if you could provide better quality assets and any other help too, i know what you mean about finding a constant supply of good quality/themed assets!
LukasPJ
Site Admin

by LukasPJ » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:03 am
GitHub's page on filesize and repo size limitations: https://help.github.com/articles/what-is-my-disk-quota/

How much gameplay are you looking for? My suggestion is to focus on the combat system to begin with, it doesn't take that long to implement a basic version but provides a lot og playability which makes it feel like you have a working prototype (which in turn makes it more likely to attract attention).

Edit: Also some feedback for the website, there's way too much movement.. It's a bit confusing and your eyes move from one side of the screen to the other :P Maybe tone that down a bit. Also the website theme, to me, suggests it's a 2d game while there's 3d screenshots there. When I say suggests, I mean in the style, and not the actual text. If you just looked at the website style and not at the screenshots at all, my guess would be it was a 2d pixelart game. :P
hreikin

by hreikin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:48 pm
thanks for the link @
LukasPJ
:D i may give it another shot later but im focusing on other things right now.

i only plan something basic, starter world and 1 more at first with others added later on, no online/mmo elements are planned, i was hoping for 3/4 races/factions to choose from but will probably start with just the 1, thanks for the suggestion, once i have 2 worlds im "happy" with ill get cracking with the combat system

i will change the website, thanks for the feedback, it was late when i made it and i just wanted something there without scrolling through a million templates :D

EDIT : website is now changed, i have also updated the initial post with the new address which is available here http://freerpgproject.wordpress.com
Last edited by hreikin on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julius
by Julius » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:55 pm
Not a bad start, for characters and enemies you might get away for now with those from the Ryzom project; maybe with some changes to the textures... especially the animations are pretty nice.

They were recently converted to more usable formats, see here:
http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic. ... 38&p=62621
(license CC-by-SA)
hreikin

by hreikin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:26 pm
thanks for the link @
Julius
i will give them a look over later on after i get back from work
hreikin

by hreikin » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:29 am
Git repos are now available, i have updated original post with new details

15 posts Page 1 of 2