Pull Request: New Base Template

This forum is for tracking and working on active issues that need to be resolved, as well as testing Pull Requests that are waiting to be integrated into Torque 3D.
51 posts Page 1 of 6
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:43 pm
Old Branch: https://github.com/Areloch/Torque3D/tree/NewTemplateTest

Final Testing Branch: https://github.com/Areloch/Torque3D/tree/NewBaseGameTemplateFinal

PR itself: https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/pull/1953

Blocking
Note: As this will be the new template base, no other PRs that are script-changing will be merged until this is wrapped and merged in so we're not trying to juggle two paths with this. As such, the faster we can test and finalize this, the faster we can get back to script changes being rolled in.

The new template is solid enough for people to start poking at it and looking for anything that I may have missed. Go ahead, give it a pull, make a new project with it and give it a whirl.

Should have full multiplayer capability, and the new options menu should be working fine.

Known issues that will be corrected shortly:
Screen Brightness menu doesn't change brightness when you adjust the slider, but the brightness does actually change.

Todo:
saindd
by saindd » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:52 pm
What's new on this new template?
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:12 pm
Biggest thing is it's a restructuring and cleanup.

a LOT of excess and duplicated code is stripped out, and the whole thing is a lot more streamlined now.

It's also set up to utilize modules/assets, and also the tools are initialized on-call rather than when the game is started, leading to a much faster launch time(I get about 3 seconds from splash to main menu).

From here, I'll be doing a FPS game package to replicate the functionality of the full template that can be simply dropped onto this template and go, meaning that we'd further reduce duplication because the only stuff in the FPS package is stuff pertaining to the package specifically.
saindd
by saindd » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:32 pm
I never had heard about modules before. Guess i'm going to start to backport a few of those features to the Full template! :mrgreen:
Johxz
by Johxz » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:05 am
nice! thanks!

If I encounter with a issue, it is reported here?

btw I'm creating a new fps tutorial template to replace the old one, so I will wait this template is finished ;)

EDIT: I found a error. See the attached.

Attachments

12.PNG
12.PNG (6.95 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
error.zip
(16.39 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
rlranft

by rlranft » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:54 pm
Johxz wrote:nice! thanks!

If I encounter with a issue, it is reported here?

btw I'm creating a new fps tutorial template to replace the old one, so I will wait this template is finished ;)

EDIT: I found a error. See the attached.

Probably here : https://github.com/Areloch/Torque3D/issues
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:34 pm
Actually, I'd say just keep any issues noted in here for now. Keeps it all consolidated specific to getting the template ironed out and prepped for a PR roll in.

@
Johxz
Thanks for the report!

Looking at it, the editor uses the old getMouseAdjust method(I separated that into two separate ones to have separate horizontal and vertical sensitivity), meaning that the mouse move scaling wouldn't work there and the numbers would go crazy. I'll get that corrected today :)
Johxz
by Johxz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:29 pm
1) when I choose "Lighting" the engine crash with this errors

tools/worldEditor/scripts/editor.bind.ed.cs (34): Unable to find function getMouseAdjustAmount
Mapping string: EditorOrbitCameraSelectChange to index: 3
Linux Compatibility Warning: warnMat.dds != warnmat.dds
DirectInput deactivated.
Activating DirectInput...
client is backlogged, time is frozen
client is no longer backlogged, time is unfrozen (26 ms elapsed)
GameBase::setDatablockProperty - Could not find data block "DefaultStorm"
d:\newtemplate\torque3d\engine\source\core\stream\bitstream.cpp(339,0): {Fatal} - BitStream::writeInt: value out of range: -165909/1024 (10 bits)

2) If I choose "Join Server" I can't go back to the main menu.

3) The forest editor don't work.

Attachments

11.PNG
11.PNG (3.96 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:31 am
1) Do you mean Lightning? I'm guessing so, since the log tidbit mentioned the DefaultStorm datablock. I got a similar crash though. It doesn't have to do with the template, this looks like there's a bug in the Lightning strike net event that snuck in causing a problem. I can look into that tomorrow.

2) Thanks for the spot on that! Fixed.

3) That's an issue where the file it's looking for exists. but it doesn't contain the right data. I removed the blank file and also fixed the notation of where the file should be, as currently I moved the forest brushes file to be with the forest tool itself.

That raises an interesting question though: datablocks and the like that exist JUST for the editors, namely, the forest brush info: should those be in with the tools themselves? That seems the most logical way to go about it to me.

Also think I quashed the issues with the controls menu and the menu sounds are working as expected now.
Timmy
by Timmy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:21 pm
JeffR wrote:That raises an interesting question though: datablocks and the like that exist JUST for the editors, namely, the forest brush info: should those be in with the tools themselves? That seems the most logical way to go about it to me..

Good point, also other areas like this but reversed. For example this stuff is bundled in with the world editor https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/blob/development/Templates/Full/game/tools/worldEditor/gui/objectBuilderGui.ed.gui#L991-L993, if you happen to not ship the world editor obviously problems happen.
51 posts Page 1 of 6