update/better documentation (Paid)

21 posts Page 2 of 3
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:16 pm
Why is the AFX MIT demo not added to the tutorials? In a sense it is a fine example of a special effect/magic system. It is a shame it is not on the list under tutorials.
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:27 am
@
Steve_Yorkshire

So I found the thread with the missing pictures.

Here it is:
http://www.garagegames.com/community/re ... view/21005

I guess you might wanted to fix it :mrgreen:
rlranft

by rlranft » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:01 pm
Steve_Yorkshire wrote:
But I have noticed that some of the pictures has blanked out in his tutorials/resources

Some of the old free upload/hosts seem to have bugged/deleted some of my old pics - which is annoying but hey, get what you pay for. :/

Want me to put them up? I mean, at least I'll tell you when I decide to shut down. If you like the idea contact me and we'll work out how to get the files where they need to be. Of course, you'd then have to go back and update the links in all of those posts....

And - I have started keeping the generated engine docs on my site. Roostertail games, in the side-bar on the right - T3D 3.7 and T3D 3.8 - of course, they're just generated references and because internal documentation is sparse they're pretty cryptic.
Steve_Yorkshire

by Steve_Yorkshire » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:00 pm
@
rlranft
Don't think I have copies of them anymore, and I'm not about to go looking through gigs of badly named backups ;)
rlranft

by rlranft » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:48 pm
Steve_Yorkshire
Badly named backups? Why you do that? Anyway, keep it in mind next time - hell, I can even add it to the docs here and push it in as a pull request on the docs repo....
flysouth
by flysouth » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:16 pm
As a noob starting with T3d about a month ago I agree. I have done some of the tutorials and some of them don't work. Perhaps they are for an earlier version. I have downloaded all the docs I can find and things such as the state machine have very little explaining how it works. And yes as a C programmer I do know how state machines work.
As you might have seen in my other posts I have been trying to mount a turret on a vehicle but with little success. There is not much info how to do this and no examples. As much as I appreciate the tutorials people have done, I find most of them to be the stuff that is well documented. The stuff like mounting a turret is not documented and there are no tutorials.

I do have time and am tempted to offer my services depending on exactly what is expected
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:45 pm
flysouth wrote:As a noob starting with T3d about a month ago I agree. I have done some of the tutorials and some of them don't work. Perhaps they are for an earlier version. I have downloaded all the doc I can find and things such as the state have very little explaining how it works. And yes as a C programmer I do know how state machines work.
As you might have seen in my other posts I have been trying to mount a turret on a vehicle but with little success. There is not much info how to do this and no examples. As much as I appreciate the tutorials people have done, I find most of them to be the stuff that is well documented. The stuff like mounting a turret is not documented and there are no tutorials.

I do have time and am tempted to offer my services depending on exactly what is expected

Have you tried to create a mountXX in the model editor and then mount the model their?

Click the model in the world editor.
Enter the model/object editor.
Click on Node in the right side of the screen.
Click on the node in the model you wish to mount something on
When that is marked you click on the white paper(add new node) icon beside the trash can icon
name that new node mountXX

Now you have a node.

Read more here:
https://www.garagegames.com/community/f ... ead/101015

and here(for mounting on the models and how it works):
https://www.garagegames.com/community/f ... read/21142

Now you might find that the turret is not aligned correctly etc.

That you fix by going into the AdvancedProperties also under Object Editor.
click Mounting
click browse under shape
click Node and select you newly created node.
Let type stand as shape for now.
Then you will see how the model is aligned.
Start to tweak it by selecting the model
use the rotate and move select as needed
You might be frustrated about this... but it does work.

All the above works. I have done it for like 10 different models so far and like 20+ weapons and shapes.
Now it is mounted. Then YOU have to find out how to rotate it with scripting.

I manage to find out how to do this with some searching on the GG website and most of all tweaking around with the editor.

Learning something new can be a frustrating process, but Mounting a turret/shape/weapon in T3D are pretty easy... when you know how to do this.

Oh and this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Game-Programmers ... 1_1&sr=8-1

Is still good for getting into the idea how to use TorqueScript. I still use it for inspiration... In fact then get them all. You can buy them used. Just remember that you want the CD included(you want the code to read as well).
flysouth
by flysouth » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:12 pm
I created the nodes in the model as per the documentation.
I managed to mount it and it all aligns but it just ignores the setTurretEulerRotation command. Even when typed in from console. Also if you use a get command it shows things have changed but not what you set.

Does it work for you in the standard 3.8 T3D?

It is one thing if you want to do something different and it is undocumented and perhaps was never intended that an engine can do something.. then you expect to struggle.
But this is something that the engine supposedly can do but there is little / no documentation on the how. So once you have created your turret, mounted it to a vehicle then how to you control it?
So as the OP said ... we need better docs
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:57 pm
flysouth wrote:I created the nodes in the model as per the documentation.
I managed to mount it and it all aligns but it just ignores the setTurretEulerRotation command. Even when typed in from console. Also if you use a get command it shows things have changed but not what you set.

Does it work for you in the standard 3.8 T3D?

It is one thing if you want to do something different and it is undocumented and perhaps was never intended that an engine can do something.. then you expect to struggle.
But this is something that the engine supposedly can do but there is little / no documentation on the how. So once you have created your turret, mounted it to a vehicle then how to you control it?
So as the OP said ... we need better docs

I am not using 3.8 my project was ported to a 3.51 some time ago and I have not taken it to any newer version as it is right now.

I found this about node rotations:
http://www.garagegames.com/community/fo ... ead/135308

I believe that is what you need to get the problem with rotation solved.
flysouth
by flysouth » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:57 pm
Thanks
I see this is in CPP. I looked at the source code to see what the setTurretEulerRotation command does....
_updateNodes(rot);
mShapeInstance->animate();
mRot = rot;

Which looks like what was being discussed in that post.
Taking all of the post about fixes into consideration it looks like this does not work and has never been fixed. So I guess if I want to use turrets I will have to use a different method
21 posts Page 2 of 3