Beginner 3D Artist/Animator looking for projects

Janders

Hi there! I'm an enthusiast of open-source software, and it's pretty hard to find a decent open-source game engine, so I want to help.

I am looking for 3d projects on modeling, texturing and animation. I don't need to be paid, I want mostly to improve my skills and portfolio.

My skills are:

- Lowpoly, highpoly modeling.

- Sculpting.

- UV unwrap.

- Texturing.

- Rigging.

- Character and technical animation.

Programs skills:

- Blender: Advanced.

- 3ds Max: Beginner.

- zBrush: Intermediate.

- Photoshop: Advanced.

- GIMP: Advanced.

Feel free to ask any questions!

A couple of replies already, you are a wanted man :D i have something called the FreeRPG Project which has recently been started, you can find more information here :

https://freerpgproject.wordpress.com/

If it seems like something you would like to contribute to then please get in touch via the contact form at the website or through the forum.

Thanks

mic

OK, it's outdated and it's embarrassing but i have some old test you may like.

In my defense I'll say this is wen I'd just finished my studies, unfortunately life kicked in... and I was forced to put 3D on standby. Now finally I have some free time.

I'm pretty confident with my Photoshop/GIMP skills here some old works.

http://proyectojan.blogspot.com.es/2011/03/photoshopeando.html

Well I hope you liked it.

Also, for starters I was thinking about start making a more neutral default character, something like the default UE third person character. As I said I'm still a beginner so I'd like to be familiar whit Torque before jumping in something else.

OK, it's outdated and it's embarrassing but i have some old test you may like.

In my defense I'll say this is wen I'd just finished my studies, unfortunately life kicked in... and I was forced to put 3D on standby. Now finally I have some free time.

I'm pretty confident with my Photoshop/GIMP skills here some old works.

http://proyectojan.blogspot.com.es/2011/03/photoshopeando.html

Well I hope you liked it.

Also, for starters I was thinking about start making a more neutral default character, something like the default UE third person character. As I said I'm still a beginner so I'd like to be familiar whit Torque before jumping in something else.

Yeah, actually having a dummy/mannequin player model as a default wouldn't be a bad idea. Biggest problem with us continuing to use the Soldier character, as good as it is, is that we don't have the source art files, so updating/adding onto it is a pain.

When you mention the UE4 one, you mean like this guy, right?

27156-question.png

Torque had something similar back in the TGE days, the 'Blue Guy'. If you wanted to start with something like that, that'd be pretty awesome.

You could start by creating some art tutorials for torque3d. In this tutorials you could update some of the default models from the engine and show the workflow that you used.

Is it this you are doing?

I am not working on that. But from what i've seen the art tutorial are kind of missing. We have some really nice tutorials on how to create some basics levels and game prototypes, but no art tutorials.

yea, a weapon and player tutorial would be nice, and then I mean how the models need to be, the rest there is tutorials for.

I've created a playermodel, not a good one.. but its my first 3d person.

I have bind it to the original skeleton that follows Torque, but I cant use the animation that is allready there.

How can this be?

just gets wierd stuff like this:

http://i1.wp.com/www.wolfsquad.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/wierd.png

Don't use the original skeleton, or the built-in animations, it's completely buggy. Take some time to build your own. Much less headaches.

sadly it seems so.

Because in my book when you use the same skeleton as the game, you should also be able to use the allready made animations..

But then I got more questions, should the animations only be with the weapons?

I remade the weapon skeleton and animations as well, both for arms and weapon models. The originals also had terrible issues.

Just to give you an idea of how buggy it is: i bought the art packs from GarageGames and used the source MAX files to export everything back to the engine again, with no changes at all. Bugs everywhere: wrong animations, bone issues, etc. What a mess.

• 2 months later...

Hi there!

If you're still looking for projects to work on in expanding and practicing your 3D skills, please let me know. We're working on an MMO project and there are several things we could use someone with your skill-set's help with! Here's a link if you'd like to check it out and see if it's something that interests you: http://www.indiedb.com/games/shadow-sovereignty

Thanks!

James