November 1st, 2015 Release

Moderator: andrewmac

14 posts Page 1 of 2
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:42 am
November 1st, 2015 Release

it's been a really busy week for me and I didn't get a chance to fix as many thing as I thought I would before the release but I still think it's best to just get this release out there so I can start become aware of the all the issues I've likely been missing. At this point I'd be happy to know it worked on a variety of computers so please give it a download, see what happens, and let me know how it goes. There is an example project included that has a number of small examples in one area. You can also download a binary of the example project alone below. For now it's a windows only release.

README:

Code: Select all

=======================================
 Torque 6 : November 1st, 2015 Release

Created by Andrew Mac ( http://www.andrewmac.ca )
Contributors: LukasPJ

This release is still not intended to make games. It's just for early testing to see what problems arise and for people to start getting familiar with the engine.

Setup

You may need to run vc_redist.x86.exe/vc_redist.x64.exe to install the Visual Studio 2015 runtime if you get an error about a missing DLL when you open Torque6Editor.exe.

Instructions

Run Torque6Editor.exe, go to File and choose Open Project. Open the projects folder and then click once on the project you wish to open (ExampleProject is the only one included) and then press Select Folder.

Note: if you get a black box and then a crash go into projects/ExampleProject and open main.cs in Notepad. Uncomment a different renderer such as OpenGL and see if still crashes.

Use WASD keys to move camera around. Right click and drag to control camera with the mouse.

Known Issues

- Visual bugs in shadows.
- You can only open a project once, you have to reopen the editor to open a new project.
- No interface to set names or internal names for objects or components.
- Numerous things are broken in Direct3D9

Website and Documentation:

Still considered a work in progress. I'll be working on filling in the documentation this week.

Documentation: http://www.torque6.com/docs

Editor with Example Project:

x86: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6mbhcYKbQQdRml3TWJxVDFlTUE/view?usp=sharing
x64: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6mbhcYKbQQdckk4bnNlZU9xN1E/view?usp=sharing

Example Project:

x86: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6mbhcYKbQQdR1gyaTdWUUl3dDA/view?usp=sharing
x64: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6mbhcYKbQQdak90bGtOMFZLa2c/view?usp=sharing

Example Project Screenshots:
razvanab
by razvanab » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:29 pm
@
andrewmac

Amazing work! I really like it especially the lighting :)
nikoxd23
by nikoxd23 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:00 pm
@
andrewmac
very good work.
I found some shade bug in the editor, but nothing unusual.
When entering the editor console was closed.
I have some questions:
He goes package the models so that no one can get?
Is going to build as in unity?
Thank you
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:16 pm
@
razvanab
: Thanks :D did you have any issues running it? The biggest thing I'd like to gain from this release is confidence that it runs on more computers than just mine :P

@
nikoxd23
: Console tool is broke for this release, never had time to fix it, sorry about that. It just says "Failed to Connect".

After a model is loaded the first time a binary version of it is stored in the cache folder, it's in an internal format optimized for the engine. This version can be shipped, so people won't be able to steal your models. However, the internal format is obviously open source so if someone REALLY wanted to, they could steal your models by reverse engineering that, but it's not easy. It's the same level of security as .cached.dts that T3D uses.

Right now the Play button (arrow in the toolbar) will launch the project outside the editor. That's the closest thing to a 'Build' button at the moment. However I do plan to have an "Export Project" button that spits out a folder with everything packaged and ready to go to ship your game.
nikoxd23
by nikoxd23 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:23 pm
@
andrewmac
thank for the answer.
I share with @
razvanab
about enlightenment.
This well optimiado, I have 6GB of RAM and 57MB just consumed.
I thought (although I have no practice in c ++ XD and is hardly my forte) with help editor.
I really love the Unity or Unreal editor has been very easy to learn.
saindd
by saindd » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:28 pm
Is the old Torque networking code still there?
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:34 pm
Hey Andrew, I'm getting a "MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer" error. Googled it and it seems to be related to VS 2015. I haven't installed that yet, but your end user shouldn't have to... is this something that has to be packaged with the final game?
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:01 pm
@
saindd
: The networking is not ready to use, however I have ported the majority of the network code from T3D. Can't stress enough this release is just for basic testing :D don't try to make a game with it haha.

@
chriscalef
: There should be a vc_redist.x64.exe included in the package that will fix that error. You always require a redistributable with visual studio but chances are you already installed it for previous years for previous applications. I used VS2015 and Windows 10 to compile this build so I'm guessing few folks have that year installed yet. You can compile using any version you want since its open source :D When I go for more widespread release I'll be sure to package the required DLLs in there.
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:00 am
Doh! Thank you, next time I'll RTFM first. :-P

I tried the x86 Editor version and x64 Example version, running win7 on 64 bit. x86 ran great, but x64, after I ran the redist, came up with another missing DLL: api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-2-0.dll.

Just reporting my results, I'm fine with running your 32 bit version. Thanks for all the hard work!!
razvanab
by razvanab » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:16 pm
@
andrewmac

No real issue on my system:

Intel Core2Duo 1.8
Radeon 6950
4 GB ram
Win 10 x64

The only thing weird was the mouse witch seems a little laggy when moving around in the project.
14 posts Page 1 of 2