New Editor

Moderator: andrewmac

43 posts Page 3 of 5
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:05 pm
@
Chelaru
: Yeah, I think what I'll do is get everything functional and then identify the areas that lend themselves to being customized by the user and put it all into some kind of Look & Feel options menu. Two things off the top of my head are the material editor colors as you mentioned, and the script editor's syntax highlighter. I hope to add those plus a number of other options for user customization of colors and look/feel. Unfortunately a downside (or upside depending on who you ask) of wxWidgets is that it uses native window controls, so they adhere to your systems theme. For this reason I'm not sure I'll be able to achieve extreme customization, but I'll try to squeeze in options where ever I can.

@
saindd
: No toolkit, I wrote them as a custom control in wxWidgets. It's practically the same code I used for the node editor in the old editor I just adapted it for wxWidgets. it's not that hard when you dig into it. I would say the hardest part is getting a good looking bezier curve for the connections between nodes.
Chelaru
by Chelaru » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:36 pm
I was thinking a customization menu like in IDEAS IDE(if you know it).
HeadClot
by HeadClot » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:41 pm
Regarding file formats in this new editor - Do you have plans for .FBX and OBJ file formats?

Yes? No?

Also are there any plans for Drag and drop support for entities from the editor to the view port?

Just curious :)

Also some usability tips for the editor that have saved me a bunch of time in Unreal that I would like to see in this new editor.

1. Pressing END on the Keyboard drops the currently selected object to the ground or what ever is below it.
2. Pressing Space bar allows you to cycle between Transform, Rotate and Scale modes.
3. Grid snapping - Note Make this toggleabe so that we can do off the grid editing.
4. WASD (First person shooter) controls for moving around the view port.
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:06 pm
@
HeadClot
: the engine itself uses ASSIMP for asset import, so FBX and OBJ are fully supported.

All the usability suggestions you made sound great to me. I'll be sure to add those.
razvanab
by razvanab » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:30 pm
I would like to know if you intend to add a BSP / primitive editor and if yes can i suggest to make it work like the one in ID Software GTK Radiant ?
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:42 pm
I was working on the editor yesterday. I'm pretty happy with the translate/rotate tools. Just need to do scaling next. After that I'll work on the asset management so you can import and place models and then I'll think we'll be ready to go a very early beta release so folks can play with the editor. I'd really like to get the ball rolling and have a release people can download and criticize. There's a lot to do before it's a fully functional engine but I think getting people involved with the editor early will be good for development.

@
razvanab
: Some sort of solid geometry editing tools will be provided. I'm not entirely sure whether it will be BSP or what the toolset will look like.
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:39 am
I've added a menu for scene features to the editor:

What you see is a list of features currently in the scene. The button above them with the gear icon is a menu of all the various features you can add to the scene.
Scene features are anything that occurs for the entire scene. This is things like post processing effects, directional light, skylight, GI, etc. It's a pretty simple system to work with. Add feature to scene, adjust properties, enjoy. They can be enabled/disabled and adjusted at runtime from scripts as well.
Chelaru
by Chelaru » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:59 pm
Look's good. I wait the official release to test it :D .
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:34 pm
I've got drag and drop for entity templates in.

It allows you to just grab assets on the left and drag them into the scene.
andrewmac

by andrewmac » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:13 pm
Progress video on editor:

43 posts Page 3 of 5