Torque3D resources/products...

Johxz

• 3 weeks later...
.../Torque3D_Awesomium is not MIT. take it down now, please. Incorrect info. disregard.

Thanks again for the fixes, Azaezel!

btw what people thinks about create other repo for the community and upload all this? and then everyone have a central repo to PR

Not sure I understand. It says right on the page that I'll be accepting pull requests. Feel free to do whatever you want with your fork obviously, but the original one is going to be maintained - that's the whole reason it was created in the first place. :)

• 2 months later...

i have a folder full of all sorts of things..

a complete dump of abighole unsure of date..

a collection of single page saved web pages from the resources section, granted most of this stuff is still live and almost certainly very out of date.

i have a collection somewhere of TDN pages, but i am also acutely aware that not everyone believes as i do about the sharing of knowledge so generally i dont share, however, since 1) pretty much most of if not all previous paid resources are now MIT 2) this junk is a decade out of date and of debatable use and 3) i'm not sure who can even access TDN anymore.

as a side note, short of the doc master (@GameDevMich) i dont know who has a full or complete copy of TDN, so if anybody has knowledge of how to rip a mediawiki site that needs a login let me know.

anyway, like a bunch of people, i have a lot of accumulated junk/wisdom taking up HDD space, not sure if theres somewhere i can dump it, or if i should, while i consider this if there is something specific you wanted i could always look for it

Hi @Bloodknight thanks mate.

Well any old resources are welcome

like this dead MIT resource "Combat Starter Kit" - source: https://www.garagegames.com/community/forums/viewthread/87171/1#comment-841979

and this Starter.Racing - source: https://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/15903

or if somehow we can recover this old site repo: http://3dcentral.net/modules/PDdownloads/index.php (is like a bighole site)

no sure about TDN, but certanly the gg site have some errors...

yeah are very old... and a lot of this old/dead product/resources it was available for public domain even some have mit license, so I think is not a problem to share, I will have here in this post shared the old stuff I found...

hmmm maybe we can manage the old junk folder and dump it somewhere like a github repo, google drive, dropbox.

@Bloodknight: I still have access to TDN. I'd love a full archive! :-)

@johnxz: I have a small collection of TGE resources on an old server. I need to fire it up anyhow because there are a bunch of art assets on it. Not sure what's there, but I'll let you know when I do it. Is there a place to dump old resources if we have them to share?

On a somewhat related note, I'm in the process of porting an old WheeledVehicle resource from TGE. I had noticed that the "starter.racing" demo didn't make it into T3D (and, apparently, TGA). and just this morning was trying to decide weather or not to port the racing demo as a part of the vehicle stuff. It was pretty basic, but would probably be cool to have. Some of the vehicle design choices make more sense after seeing how that demo implemented.

@Bloodknight: I still have access to TDN. I'd love a full archive! :-)

@johnxz: I have a small collection of TGE resources on an old server. I need to fire it up anyhow because there are a bunch of art assets on it. Not sure what's there, but I'll let you know when I do it. Is there a place to dump old resources if we have them to share?

On a somewhat related note, I'm in the process of porting an old WheeledVehicle resource from TGE. I had noticed that the "starter.racing" demo didn't make it into T3D (and, apparently, TGA). and just this morning was trying to decide weather or not to port the racing demo as a part of the vehicle stuff. It was pretty basic, but would probably be cool to have. Some of the vehicle design choices make more sense after seeing how that demo implemented.

Oh man, by all means, bring the racing demo back. That thing was always a blast to just fire up and drive around the terrain like a fool :P

For the resources bits, feel free to either toss that stuff up onto the wiki, or PM me and I can host stuff on my personal server.

Just went over the scripting for TGE's starter.racing demo ... it's pretty basic. With a straight port (not trying to improve it), laying out a demo race course level would probably end up being the bulk of the work.

Problem is all the original art is in .dif format ... which doesn't appear to be supported by Torque any longer. I'm not sure what assets are currently handy (most of my stuff is on the aforementioned old server that needs to be cranked up). At first glance, looks like I've got some rough fencing, a barrel and an assortment of trees.

Are you aware of any free art assets that might be suitable for a little race course? Some sort direction indicators (a sign or barrier with arrows or something) would be especially useful.

Well. That wasn't too bad. Turns out If you don't try to make it look pretty a proof of concept course isn't that difficult at all. I'm going to try and recruit someone to make a couple of actual decent levels. And, frankly, the Cheetah is a terrible race car ... even worse than the old-school Torque buggy.

Figuring out how to use Github took more time than anything. Pretty sure I'm still not doing it right ... I get the sense at this point I'm using it more like Dropbox than as intended. The code (and a downloadable .zip file) is here for now.

https://github.com/yourarcade/torque/tree/master/t3d/resources/starter.racing

Heh, yeah, we need a new car model, I think.

For art stuffs, you can snag some foliage/terrain/road art from the pacific art package, and for stuff like signs or maybe even cars, you could look at opengameart.org. They tend to have a lot of public domain/cc0 art stuffs up for use, may be worth a look there.

For basic buildings, you could also use the convex editor tool to block stuff out.

As for using github, this may be useful info, if not lemme know what spots you're rough on with it: http://wiki.torque3d.org/git:how-to-use-git-with-torque