Building a Library of Images for Everyone

Friendly conversations, and everything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
41 posts Page 3 of 5
Eric Matyas
by Eric Matyas » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:56 pm
I've just uploaded over 100 new stone and metal texture images, standard and seamless, that I took at a couple of archaeological sites over the weekend. I think a lot of the stone textures could work well for castles and other structures.

You'll find them here:

http://soundimage.org/txr-rockstone/
http://soundimage.org/txr-metal/

Have a good week! :-)
Eric Matyas
by Eric Matyas » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:43 pm
Greetings!

I've uploaded about 100 new fabric texture images on my TXR - FABRIC page. They are all seamless, 2048X2048 and ready for tiling.

New fabric types include Leather, Rayon, Metal Linens, Dyed Acrylics and various weaves.

They might be useful for clothes for characters, furniture coverings, carpets, or anything else you can think of.

You'll find them here:

http://soundimage.org/txr-fabric/

I hope some of them are useful! :-)
Duion

by Duion » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:55 pm
@
Eric Matyas

Did your marketing strategy in spamming all digital art design related forums work out well?
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:31 pm
"Spamming" isn't exactly the correct term though, is it?

Self-marketing is challenging, so it's no surprise he posts around several forums, but "spam" is unwanted, or irrelevent messages. Not legitimate and useful content that's topical like his stuff.

On topic: thanks for the added textures, especially in the gray, detail-texture format.

Also, 2 things that occur to me at this point, is 1) I think you're probably do for a site re-org. You've got a ton of good content, and sprucing your page to make it a bit better organized would be nice ;)
and 2) Something that may be worth looking at if you have the opportunity is beginning to support PBR-oriented versions of your textures. An easy way to do that is to grab the substance toolset: https://www.allegorithmic.com/. They have a Bitmap2Material tool which will read in bitmap files and generate normal maps, specular, metalness, roughness, ambient occlusion, yada yada yada. Also generates a more light neutral albedo texture off the inbound diffuse color image. Doesn't take long, and it would make it right easy to utilize those nice textures in a modern workflow to boot :D

Obviously not a requirement, but figured I'd toss the suggestion your way, as it may be something that you'd find interesting to support.
Duion

by Duion » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:03 pm
JeffR wrote:"Spamming" isn't exactly the correct term though, is it?

Self-marketing is challenging, so it's no surprise he posts around several forums, but "spam" is unwanted, or irrelevent messages. Not legitimate and useful content that's topical like his stuff.

Yes, I was joking a bit. I was asking, if it is worth the efford.

Regarding the textures I would not recommend to edit them, if you are not a professional game designer or artist, since then the edited image would rather decrease the quality than increase it. From what I saw so far, the seamelss versions were pretty amateurish, but he is getting better. It takes me somewhere from 15 minutes up to 3 hours to make a good gameready texture and most of the time is spend in the engine testing them in different setups, correcting them, load again etc for each layer and they are still only optimized for Torque3D, so to make general purpose game ready textures you need quite some experience and even then they will mostly be special case use.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:50 pm
Duion wrote:
JeffR wrote:"Spamming" isn't exactly the correct term though, is it?

Yes, I was joking a bit. I was asking, if it is worth the efford.

Regarding the textures I would not recommend to edit them, if you are not a professional game designer or artist, since then the edited image would rather decrease the quality than increase it. From what I saw so far, the seamelss versions were pretty amateurish, but he is getting better. It takes me somewhere from 15 minutes up to 3 hours to make a good gameready texture and most of the time is spend in the engine testing them in different setups, correcting them, load again etc for each layer and they are still only optimized for Torque3D, so to make general purpose game ready textures you need quite some experience and even then they will mostly be special case use.

True, there is an aspect of specialization when it comes to art assets, but the PBR workflow is designed to reduce that as much as possible - and substance's tools are pretty excellent to avoid quality degregation, while still outputting the supporting PBR maps. It's the huge advantage of the PBR workflow. But even within that, there are some engine-peculiarities within that, so that is a fair point.

Still, if he thinks he could pull it off, I think it'd be a worthwhile thing to look into for the future.
Eric Matyas
by Eric Matyas » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:56 pm
Thanks for the feedback...I will definitely look into it!

In the meantime...

50 or so new metal textures are ready, both seamless and standard, on my TXR - METAL page. You can find them here:

http://soundimage.org/txr-metal/

Still working on carpet / fur / etc.

Have a good week!
Eric Matyas
by Eric Matyas » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:37 pm
I've opened a fur textures page and uploaded about 70 images, both seamless and standard, to get it started. Some of them might be useful for other things, like carpets, rugs, etc. Some also have funky weaves so I included them for fun.

You'll find them here:

http://soundimage.org/txr-fur/
Duion

by Duion » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:45 pm
Do you use some software to generate those seamless versions automatically? It looks similar to what I get when I run a resynthesizer on images.
Eric Matyas
by Eric Matyas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:58 am
Duion wrote:Do you use some software to generate those seamless versions automatically? It looks similar to what I get when I run a resynthesizer on images.

I work with PixPlant. Not all images lend themselves to being seamless, though, so it's very much a trial and error kind of thing. :-)

I've added about 50 new paper textures derived mostly from old book covers, but there are also some distressed blank pages. They are on my TXR - Paper page:

http://soundimage.org/txr-paper/

Hope some of them are helpful!
41 posts Page 3 of 5