C# - need someone to poke around

Friendly conversations, and everything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
17 posts Page 2 of 2
LukasPJ
Site Admin

by LukasPJ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:02 am
JeffR wrote:You sexy beast! ;)

Very awesome. I need to give this a proper run-down.

So outside of obvious, improvements like cutting back on how much string interpretation we use and whatnot, what do you think is still missing at least an initial implementation?

It's sounding like it's pretty close to at least the 'everything runs' level.

I really want to implement typed callbacks, right now they are stringly typed, and you don't override them from the parent class.
Datablocks don't really work properly in C# yet, and there are a bunch of the structs (like Point3F) that don't work (Point3F does though), so they will have to be brought up to date.
Furthermore, some things might not be marshalled properly (bools for instance) and I don't know if enums work.

Also have to decide what I want to do with packages, but in the big picture this is all minor things. The one major issue, that I know of, is cleanup. C# allocates SimObjectPtr's in order to access C++ objects safely and being able to cast errors, but they are not delete properly on C# destructors, this makes the engine crash if you enter a mission twice, as some things are not cleaned up properly.
RasterRon

by RasterRon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:42 pm
Finally got 2015 reinstalled and it works great. Keep it up Lukas! :)
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:58 pm
Sounds great, @
LukasPJ
! Fill me in though, how does this relate to / contrast against the work you guys have been doing for years re: T3D and C#? I guess I kinda thought you had done this some time ago. But it's awesome! I too would love to be able to share T3D without forcing people to learn TS. For my purposes, I wouldn't even mind if the existing Torque Script for the editors, etc. stayed in place, as long as new scripts could be written in C#. It's been a low priority for me so far, but consider me on the list of interested parties!
LukasPJ
Site Admin

by LukasPJ » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:33 pm
chriscalef wrote:Sounds great, @
LukasPJ
! Fill me in though, how does this relate to / contrast against the work you guys have been doing for years re: T3D and C#? I guess I kinda thought you had done this some time ago. But it's awesome! I too would love to be able to share T3D without forcing people to learn TS. For my purposes, I wouldn't even mind if the existing Torque Script for the editors, etc. stayed in place, as long as new scripts could be written in C#. It's been a low priority for me so far, but consider me on the list of interested parties!

Well first of all Vince's (from Winterleaf) version of C# for Torque3D is a whole other project. I'm not really affiliated with WLE anymore, in fact I don't think it even exists (?). They moved to UE4 some time ago.
Second, I believe I'm going for a cleaner solution. At least, I'm trying to make it as light-weight as possible. Furthermore, the OMNI stuff was still stringly-typed. I'm going for a completely typed interaction with the engine, with no conversion to and from strings (where possible at least).
OMNI also modified the engine quite a lot (example: https://github.com/Winterleaf/OmniEngin ... t.cpp#L692 ) I don't want to step on anyones toes, so I'm keeping engine-modifications to a bare-minimum. The only modifications I've made is various bug-fixes and improvements, and a few changes to the macros for consistency reasons.
In case you are curious, the OMNI repo is still up:
https://github.com/Winterleaf/OmniEngine.Net
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:30 pm
Ah, I get it. Well, right on man, more power to you! Good luck!!
LukasPJ
Site Admin

by LukasPJ » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:18 am

New release!

This release primarily focuses on various bug-fixes.

The biggest new feature in this release is more script examples!
This release does not have any TorqueScript code, only C# and C++, so there's more test-cases and a more complete insight into Torque3D with C#. It's based on the awesome T3Dbones repository, and you can see the C# code online if you don't want to download it here: https://github.com/lukaspj/t3d-bones-sharp

Currently known issues:
  • A lot of the vararg methods are not working
  • Some enums seem to be marshalled incorrectly
  • C#-destructors doesn't seem to clean-up the SimObjectPtr properly
Timmy
by Timmy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:05 am
Awesome stuff lukas.
17 posts Page 2 of 2