Anybody got a good recommendation for a cheap long term domain host?

chriscalef

Sorry, a little off topic but this is one of those questions that are hard to google due to signal to noise ratio. I like using dreamhost for my web hosting, but $14 a year for each of my .com and .org domains is really starting to hurt. There's a million deals out there but most of them are only for the first year. Anybody got a good long term solution for less than fourteen bucks?

Oh, but one exception: I hate goDaddy and will never give them money again, so that one's out. Anybody else, I'm all ears!

you seem to be really greedy

Well, dang, let's just make this personal why don't we? :-)

But anyway yeah, I know, the real solution is to pare it down to the things I'm actually going to have time to do, but I'm down to a half dozen or so of the _really_ good ideas that I AM gonna finish someday dammit! Lol

Just seems like I've heard people boasting of paying significantly less, but if consensus is I've got a pretty fair market rate then I'll just shut up.

There seem to be some provider with special offers regarding some domains. For example I just did a quick search on the internet and found a provider offering a .de domain for 5 Euro, but on the other hand their .com domain cost 19 Euro per year.

So if you really spend time searching you may find some special offer that will get you a domain a few dollars cheaper, but those providers then have other drawbacks, since they have to make their money somehow as well.

I would not spend that much time into a topic that could me potentiall save a few dollars per year, I spend significantly more on other things.

Here I found a comparison chart of the cheapest: https://www.domcomp.com/

GoDaddy gives you .com for 0,99 cents, but if you read a bit it is limited for one domain per customer, and 1&1 also gives you a .com for 0,99 cents, but it seems just to be a welcome offer for new customers etc.

So there is always a drawback somewhere, better not be to greedy and eventually get some contract with extra costs you do not get rid of again, I prefer just to pay the regular prices and not get any bullshit with it.

Yes, I expect you are right. I realized I didn't really even know who controls the internet anymore, and went to wikipedia for a refresher (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_registrar) but the tl;dr of it was:

Many registrars also offer registration through reseller affiliates. An end-user registers either directly with a registrar, or indirectly through one or more layers of resellers. As of 2010, the retail cost generally ranges from a low of about $7.50 per year to about $35 per year for a simple domain registration, although registrars often drop the price far lower – sometimes even free – when ordered with other products such as web hosting services.

So I guess I'm in the range of reasonable at $14. I'll put my inner miser aside (it's not "greedy" in my case so much as "spent too long being poor as dirt, living the indie dream") :-) and keep feeding the dreamhost machine, they do seem like nice people.

But, thank you for your support! My issue has been resolved.

Maybe consolidate everything down to one domain, and use subdomains for all the projects. Or, go for some of the cheaper TLDs like .biz or .info. I feel like we've reached a time and place on the Internet where the perception of "cheaper" domains has changed, and no one cares anymore and looks down on them like they used to.

• 1 year later...

There are more options like Domcomp for comparing Domain

For example The NameMagik have around frequent update: https://namemagik.com/

There seem to be some provider with special offers regarding some domains. For example I just did a quick search on the internet and found a provider offering a .de domain for 5 Euro, but on the other hand their .com domain cost 19 Euro per year.

So if you really spend time searching you may find some special offer that will get you a domain a few dollars cheaper, but those providers then have other drawbacks, since they have to make their money somehow as well.

I would not spend that much time into a topic that could me potentiall save a few dollars per year, I spend significantly more on other things.

Here I found a comparison chart of the cheapest: https://www.domcomp.com/

GoDaddy gives you .com for 0,99 cents, but if you read a bit it is limited for one domain per customer, and 1&1 also gives you a .com for 0,99 cents, but it seems just to be a welcome offer for new customers etc.

So there is always a drawback somewhere, better not be to greedy and eventually get some contract with extra costs you do not get rid of again, I prefer just to pay the regular prices and not get any bullshit with it.

• 2 months later...

I use Fasthosts in the UK as my domain registration company, and hosting I have all kinds of places, I generally find that places that offer combined services screw you over for one of them, the worst seem to be the ones that offer you a free domain name, since they many of them buy and own the domain so you cannot transfer.

If you want really sickeningly cheap hosting you can scour lowendbox.com for deals, I use hostus.com for messing about with virtual server deals, they range from obscenely cheap with specs to match, and rise up to reasonably well specced virtual servers, and a few options in between.