New branch for v4.0???

Johxz

Hi!

Sorry to bother again with this and start this discussion...

I think toward v4.0 we need a new branch for start pushing v4 changes and start testing with good gap in between before the release.... even some T3D experience users can start testing and helping giving shape to T3D v4. I've noticed a lot of interest in people to the upcoming release....

It's important to document the meaning of the branches.... and make it clear to the user.

master = as usual, last stable release.

development = latest minor release version devel branch.

next = upcoming mayor version devel branch.

regards,

J

Edited by Johxz

To clarfy sorry... I mean some this like this:

master = as usual, last stable release.

development = latest minor release version devel branch.

next = upcoming mayor version devel branch.

All the pull request to upcoming mayor release will be in "next", the newest lastest features, unstable and broken branch is this, for testing the top notch of features.

we want to include in a future.

Right now the pull request for v4 is in the air, until "development" branch have the right "timeline", and then will be pushed.

I propose to have other branch for this pull requests.

Note: updated main post to clarification.

Ok how about a picture what I mean...

This pull requests Pull requests 4.0 or even New features can be merge in "Next" branch, and not stay in the "air" until development branch "reach" 4.0.

And all local branches that are scatter around that want to push to 4.0 can do it before in the "Next" branch without the fear to break something.

With this approach any "local" work toward 4.0 can be public in the "next" branch that's mean that "other local" work toward 4.0 can be pushed too to "next" branch and both coexist, and fix something for both commits can merged.

So... what you think??

http://i.imgur.com/216havN.png

you are assuming 4.0 is the next branch, which is potentially flawed. it might be 3.10, 3.11 and so on.

Unless there are plans to maintain more than one release then the master/develop branch system is sufficient.

All major features should be on independent branches anyway. I'm assuming its the SC's job to fix all the conflicts caused by integrating PRs in whatever order they do them in (would seem a little unfair to send somebodies work back because it no longer merges cleanly)

I guess some of those might be more useful on the main repo instead of having to look through a dozen different repos for a specific feature.

you broke it here btw,

http://i.imgur.com/6ukPosP.png

cross branch communication should only be one way