I need something to do ... Suggestions ?

AndyWright

Righty,

Been umming and ahhing about getting back into devving properly for far too long, figured out the reason why I havent, is that I dont really know what to do, I dont have any projects on, I just end up half making a terrain, then flitting around a bit and starting something new ... In hindsight, I usually had too many projects on the go at once to actually properly deliver, its kinda nice to not have anything on right now, meaning a fresh start to concentrate on just a single project

Anyone got any suggestions for something to do, something to aim at, or a project that needs some terrain work or texturing done ?

Well since you asked, I need a test terrain to use for testing/showing off a vehicle kit I'm releasing on GIT. It's a basic vehicle starter kit for T3D 8-) with hovers, flyers, spaceships, submarines, Mechs, etc with AI for each type.I'm finishing up the scripts/code now, and have been using some rough test levels as well as some of yours - something dedicated that works with the scripts would be great...

Sean Rice and I had one nearly done some time ago, but life and the endless changes in T3D held it up.

We've recently worked out releasing it on Github, and I'm updating it to 3.6+ now. It'll include a rigged/teamed jet/space plane, a hovercraft, a handful of support models plus some changes to the scripts to allow multiple weapon mounting/firing, as well as basic vehicle AI. I have a blocked out level to test my paths on but would like something good-looking to use ;)

@AndyWright: I'll hit you up later this weekend...

@AndyWright: BTW in answer to your question, land-based vehicles use Walkabout/Recast, airborne use pre/random generated paths and seaborne a combination of the two. Some of the effects such as D-Day style landing craft, submarines and rescue flyers use pathShapes and forcePaths as well. It's not as intensive as Deepscratch's 'Drive AVK' or BeamNG's 'Drive' so there's no decal-following, advanced physics, etc. Just some simple code mods that allow you to play with simple vehicles...

@Gibby what sorts of changes were causing problems for you? Also I'm sure you're aware but Walkabout will be included in 3.7 :).

Between Preview, through 1.1, 1.2, then the MIT versions, there's been numerous changes. At least now it seems to be going in a consistent direction - the 'sickhead' years were rough, as many things changed without much notice or discussion...

and yes, very glad to see walkabout in 3.7 [isn't it in there now?]