BUG: Material and Emitter Definitions Overwrite WRONG Definitions

Steve_Yorkshire

Whilst playing around with 3.8 I've found a rather horrifying bug:

When using the Material Editor or the Particle Emitter Editor, they have a nasty tendency to overwrite other datablock definitions. :evil:

example:

singleton Material(base1)
{
  mapTo = "base1";
  //etc
}

singleton Material(base2)
{
  mapTo = "base2";
  //etc
}

becomes:

{
  mapTo = "base2";
  //etc
}

{
  mapTo = "base2";
  //etc
}

And you won't notice until you restart T3D and material Base1 is missing and shows up with the orange no material image. This also happens with data saved through particleEmitters, though not particle datablocks. As I've been making lots of changes with Material and ParticleEmitter editors I have noticed this wrong overwriting to be happening a lot. However I've not noticed doing a particular "thing" to cause it. Sometimes it's fine - but eventually it won't be.

This was not a problem I noticed making AirDrag, but mostly spent the last few releases of Torque updating existing stuff rather than creating new stuff with the editors, so I cannot say when this started happening.

Note: tested messing around with materials on both custom and stock 3.8 builds and both suffer from this issue so it's not something my custom code introduced. Has anyone been intensitvely using matieral or particle editors and noticed this issue?

:|

Not sure if's 100% related but when working in the particle editor; always save changes before switching to a different tab "emitter" or "particle" because those datablocks can get messed up. Perhaps an autosave could solve this particular issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Huh. Once upon a time I learned to always click the save icon when editing anything in T3D - it's mentioned in the FPS Tutorial at a few points - just because it would fail to save stuff. So perhaps it's now trying to save, but saving as it enters the new thing instead of as it leaves the old thing?

I haven't run into this yet - but I've been pretty occupied with other stuff and haven't spent much time editing scenes in T3D.