GP_Menu vs. problems....

Ron Kapaun

Ok, so..... I am using Nils' fabulous Dark UI and its great. HOWEVER, I started working on a more 'common' game menu system using the stock menu/ui system.

As most of you probably know, I ran into issues where the freaking 'default' gui elements changed things in the tools, menus, etc etc. This is a common problem that we have had for ages. So, is anyone interested in 'helping me' to create a new version of the player menu?

So far I have been renaming and expanding on the 'default' menu options. Basically. I have created a new 'class' called GP_Menu that deals SPECIFICALLY and ONLY with game play menu stuff. Not a big deal you might say and no, it's not but..... being me.... I have to take it a step beyond the norm.

Knowing that I want to expand on the 'basic' menu crap, and knowing that my pet peeve concerning T3D's menu system in total is somewhat documented. I plan to make accessible to the end user the 'Advanced' graphic's options. Everything from motion blur to HDRI and even FOV (yeah as a perf!!) and beyond. I also want to keep the 'game designer' options in the editor as 'default' settings. The basic plan is to create a menu system similar to 'FarCry' or 'Dying light' etc etc. Think of most of your common modern game menus. I am about 50% of the way done. I will need testers though. Anyone interested can respond to this thread.

Thoughts, concerns, requests? Let me know here.

Ron

What a coincidence, we're started working on the menus (again) as well. :D

What stock T3D needs is a complete split from GUI elements used in the editor and the player GUI's. Right now it's a bit of mess (profiles to be found in game/ , came/core and game/tools). If you create a new menu it's best to use a complete new profiles file.

I'm very busy so can't give you a full test report; maybe it's best to leave that to somebody else ;)

3.7 will refactor the templates such that the editors aren't duplicated in each template, but live in a single location. After that, I'll be doing exactly this, renaming all the editor profiles to be editor-specific and copying profiles the editors depend on from game code so there's complete separation. If anyone wants to make a start I'd welcome it. I plan to introduce a namespace for editor GUI classes, so game profiles can be named without a prefix.

3.7 will refactor the templates such that the editors aren't duplicated in each template, but live in a single location. After that, I'll be doing exactly this, renaming all the editor profiles to be editor-specific and copying profiles the editors depend on from game code so there's complete separation. If anyone wants to make a start I'd welcome it. I plan to introduce a namespace for editor GUI classes, so game profiles can be named without a prefix.

Thought that was slated for 3.8?

The template refactor? Since when?

er... since such a large change in structure hasn't been announced quite a few times by now so folks can prepare for it? Note, still think it's the right move, just rather surprising that that'll be going in alongside all the other rewrites with so little forward notice.

Yeah, I know. The main reason is because once you've created a project, it still looks the same as a project created in 3.6. There's also no change in functionality. The source files are just moved around. We've been wanting to do this for ages, so... it doesn't involve you modifying your projects, just custom changes to templates, but we think it'll be a welcome change even to people with their own custom templates (and who has those, really? I get the impression that everyone just modifies Full).

I made a forum post and people seemed supportive of it, so I figured it wasn't all that controversial. I'll make another post here soon to see if it would be too rapid a change.

Well, this is going to be a bit more complicated than I initially figured it would be. There are a TON of profiles and I am not 100% sure what they all are. I guess I will start by researching them all and try and categorize them. Probably would be simpler to take this in sections. I will replicate those that I know I will need and tag them with the GP_Menu tag. That will help separate the game play menu stuff from the tools. (Though I think most of the tools are in the 'tools') folders. Wow, this is a bit of a freaking mess.

Wow, this is a bit of a freaking mess.

My thoughts exactly. I suspect `sed -i` will be a great help. And then just checking for console errors. My approach last time I tried this was basically to just copy the profiles.cs over to the tools/ folder then do a batch rename. Not the best solution, but it mostly worked.

@buckmaster, Yeah that was the first thing I did but, then I started really reading into what some of this does. I suspect the gui system can do much much more than I expected. In fact, I am leaning toward it being a bit of overkill for a game engine. Either way, I think I am going to try documenting as much of this as I can. I am sure I will get stumped by some of these profiles and such. If that happens I will post here. (Nothing like starting a tiny little project...jeesh)

Having been through a version of this with the T2D > Three Step Studio transition I can tell you that 1) you're on the right track and 2) it is painful.

Additionally, I've always hated tweaking the "nine-slice" elements (our multi-part images divided by a single color - see core/art/gui/images/button.png for what I mean). I keep wanting to add a tile option - right now the edges and center get stretched while the corners remain unchanged.

EDIT

I take that back - I think you can specify a number of repeats for the edges....

Richard,

Yeah, I figured this would be a 'quick' process.... separate the tools from the 'game play' menus stuff by just replicating and renaming a few things. Good lord! I was uhm... wrong. Problem is, it REALLY needs to be done and I am not tracking anyone working this issue. It stinks but, in the end, my goal is to be able to work out nearly any game play menu a designer wants, keep the tools as they are and incorporate ALL of the 'advanced' graphics features as a player menu NOT a designer exclusive menu. Again, FOV, MotionBlur, SSAO, etc etc etc.

I am even doing a bit of 'deep research' into how to have the system 'determine' optimal settings. Who knew.... player menus are actually a pain the ass but, when I get done... at least TotalBiscut and his 'video game review' ilk will not be able to say that there are no 'proper' graphics control settings.

? for the current Steering Committee: just seeking a 'ruff' timeline to the next major T3D release. Given enough time, I can probably make this an addition. Once you all review the code etc etc. If things are going faster than I figure, then I will shoot for the release AFTER that.

Ron

Yes, that's what I said. If you want to make a new player GUI better create a whole new profiles file and base your new GUI's completely on those new profiles. After that you can move the old profiles to the core and leave them there for the editor. After doing DarkUI I'm completely certain that you better do not put too much energy in this any longer. Player GUI's are meant to be overwritten; you don't seriously release a game with "standardized" interfaces :x