Heightmap Editor on Linux?

Friendly conversations, and everything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Mitovo
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:46 pm
by Mitovo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:37 am
Hello everyone,

So, per the subject, I'm wondering if anyone using Linux here is aware of a good, fairly well-featured Heightmap Terrain editor for Linux? In particular, I'm Ubuntu Mate.

I know I've seen one before, when I was on Windows, and thought "I'm going to check that out at some point when I'm on Linux".

Now I'm on Linux, and can't find it.

Of course.

Anyway! Thought I'd ask here in case there are any Linux users working with T3D.

Thanks!
Duion
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:51 am
 
by Duion » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:45 am
I'm not aware of any, you can look up the big commercial programs like World Machine etc and see if they have a Linux version.
Otherwise you could try running them in Wine.
zyzz1995
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 1:16 pm
by zyzz1995 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:02 pm
hey i am mainly using linux os, there are some nice terrain editors that can be used on linux, some are commercial ones which means you have to pay for them, you can find them on the steam, i cannot give their names here but i am pretty sure that you can find them. Also there are some free ones but maybe they are not just a terrain editor like UE4, it has a nice terrain editor, but given the size of UE4(i compiled on my machine and it is nearly 40gb) , i would not recommend you to have it on your system just for it hightmap editor feature. Well from my own experience, if you donn't mind using wine, some windows terrain editor can work fine with wine such as L3DT standard version(which is free with some small limitations).

wish this helpful for you. :D
Duion
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:51 am
 
by Duion » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:33 pm
You can also just draw terrains by hand in Torque3D, I do that for levels that are not that big, like smaller than 1 square kilometer, if the level is 1 square kilometer or bigger it really takes long time to paint the terrain in Torque3D and a terrain editor may be the better choice. Also the benefits of terrain editors like erosion only can come into effect if the terrain is very large, since you need big mountains in order to have erosion in your level.
Mitovo
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:46 pm
by Mitovo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:45 pm
zyzz1995 wrote:hey i am mainly using linux os, there are some nice terrain editors that can be used on linux, some are commercial ones which means you have to pay for them, you can find them on the steam, i cannot give their names here but i am pretty sure that you can find them. Also there are some free ones but maybe they are not just a terrain editor like UE4, it has a nice terrain editor, but given the size of UE4(i compiled on my machine and it is nearly 40gb) , i would not recommend you to have it on your system just for it hightmap editor feature. Well from my own experience, if you donn't mind using wine, some windows terrain editor can work fine with wine such as L3DT standard version(which is free with some small limitations).

wish this helpful for you. :D


Oh, does L3DT work on WINE? Nice! I own a license to the Pro version of that. Didn't think it would work. Figured it was kind of a "fringe" app...

And it works without hassle! Holy cow that's amazing.

Thanks!
Mitovo
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:46 pm
by Mitovo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:50 pm
Duion wrote:You can also just draw terrains by hand in Torque3D, I do that for levels that are not that big, like smaller than 1 square kilometer, if the level is 1 square kilometer or bigger it really takes long time to paint the terrain in Torque3D and a terrain editor may be the better choice. Also the benefits of terrain editors like erosion only can come into effect if the terrain is very large, since you need big mountains in order to have erosion in your level.


For certain types of land forms and such, hand-sculpted in T3D is probably the better way to go, for me; small villages, etc. Or, maybe some combo of importing a "roughed out heightmap" that gets the basic landforms in place, and then I can tweak it manually.

For larger areas, I like having an editor that gives me a bit more control from a "higher level". That I can use L3DT on Linux is a godsend.
zyzz1995
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 1:16 pm
by zyzz1995 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:45 am
Mitovo wrote:
zyzz1995 wrote:hey i am mainly using linux os, there are some nice terrain editors that can be used on linux, some are commercial ones which means you have to pay for them, you can find them on the steam, i cannot give their names here but i am pretty sure that you can find them. Also there are some free ones but maybe they are not just a terrain editor like UE4, it has a nice terrain editor, but given the size of UE4(i compiled on my machine and it is nearly 40gb) , i would not recommend you to have it on your system just for it hightmap editor feature. Well from my own experience, if you donn't mind using wine, some windows terrain editor can work fine with wine such as L3DT standard version(which is free with some small limitations).

wish this helpful for you. :D


Oh, does L3DT work on WINE? Nice! I own a license to the Pro version of that. Didn't think it would work. Figured it was kind of a "fringe" app...

And it works without hassle! Holy cow that's amazing.

Thanks!


i used it with wine on my ubuntu14.04, it worked just fine and no crash. But it is slower than that on window i think.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests