Development on Ubuntu 16.04

Friendly conversations, and everything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
26 posts Page 3 of 3
mjonker

by mjonker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 am
Not sure if I am posting in the correct subject/board.
But I compiled Torque3D on Ubuntu, not 16.04 but 17.04, and compiling went well but when I try to run the code I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

./Project01 -dedicated -mission "levels/Empty Terrain"
Initializing platform...
Input Init:
%
/home/T3DPro/Engine/source/windowManager/sdl/sdlWindowMgr.cpp(448,0): {Fatal} - SDL init error
Platform::debugBreak: triggering SIGSEGV for core dump
% Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

I checked the code in sdlWindowMgr.cpp and the following is in there:

Code: Select all

int res = SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_VIDEO | SDL_INIT_JOYSTICK | SDL_INIT_HAPTIC | SDL_INIT_GAMECONTROLLER | SDL_INIT_EVENTS | SDL_INIT_NOPARACHUTE );
AssertFatal(res != -1, "SDL init error");

No idea what it does to be honest and no idea why it gives me that error.
Is there anyone that can help me with this?
I did not change anything on the code so far, just cloned it from the GIT repository and compiled it.

Thanks in advance
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:37 pm
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:25 am
Mind going ahead and dropping in https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/pull/2021 your end, see if that clarifies things any?
mjonker

by mjonker » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:41 am
Thank you for that information. I changed the code and now I get the message:

/home/T3DPro/Engine/source/windowManager/sdl/sdlWindowMgr.cpp(446,0): {Fatal} - SDL error:No available video device

So guess I will have to find out why it does not find an available video device.
Probably cause I am running it on a VMware machine. But I did not have this problem before though.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 am
I take it other GPU-requiring programs have no issues running in your VM, like a game or somesuch?

SDL's pretty good about detecting stuff as far as i know, so if something's getting missed, we'll want to check on that. The VM could be confounding it's detection though.

Also, just to clarify, Az's PR for the SDL error reporting worked for you? If so, I can check that into devhead to make it official.
mjonker

by mjonker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:02 am
I take it other GPU-requiring programs have no issues running in your VM, like a game or somesuch?

I never tried anything like that. For me it is a server and I am not running any games or other GPU-requiring programs on it.
I set it up for a Torque Game Server so nothing else has ever been installed on it.

Also, just to clarify, Az's PR for the SDL error reporting worked for you? If so, I can check that into devhead to make it official.

Yes, sorry had to mention this earlier, this is perfect for me. Now it gives a decent error message I can work with.
26 posts Page 3 of 3