Development on Ubuntu 16.04

Friendly conversations, and everything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
26 posts Page 1 of 3
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:31 am
Soooooooooooo! I have this question. Are any of you using Torque 3D MIT to develop games on Ubuntu/Linux? If so what are you experiences so far?

Any issues or show stoppers?

What TS IDE do you use and are they just as good as Torsion?

Is the Linux set up tutorial still up to date?

What do you use for programming in the engine herself and compiling her as well? I mean Visual Studio is not gonna be a choice here...

I have seen that Unity and Unreal are showing healthy signs of being useful for making games on Ubuntu.

Please feel free to answer and share awesome links etc :mrgreen:

Note: I am thinking about moving most of my stuff to Ubuntu 16.04 as I find the system very neat and attractive as a daily work platform.
Timmy
by Timmy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:20 am
For the c++ IDE i always use Qt Creator on linux (actually i do on macOS too because i hate xcode). I have never had any dramas running on linux and when i was actively developing with t3d i always made a point to check and make sure the linux port was still running(i have no idea if the lastest version works though). I have always used Linux mint which is based on Ubuntu, i have also tested it on openSUSE and it worked fine on that too. I'm not sure if the wiki is up to date on linux, the procedure wouldn't have changed too much if it is a wee bit old. As for TS i always atom text editor on linux, it has TS syntax highlighting but it ain't full featured TS ide like torsion though.
andijh92
by andijh92 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:50 pm
Hi,

I don't do much development, but I prefer spacemacs. It is emacs + a configuration framework with everything working out of the box. Use the c++ mode in spacemacs for TS files. Gnu global should work too, but i haven't tested it much. You can find a debugger for ts here: https://gitlab.com/andijh92/gtdb .

Regards,
Andy
Mitovo
by Mitovo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:42 am
Well, I've recently moved over to Linux, having FINALLY found a Distro that I didn't only find "passable", but actually love using - which is Ubuntu Mate.

Anyway, I got Torque3D downloaded, having happily found there are binaries available for it (I thought I would have to compile it all myself, etc). It runs quite smoothly, about as I'd expect it. Haven't gotten into any real work with it, yet, but intend to. Just posted a thread asking if anyone knows of a good heightmap editor for Linux, as a matter of fact.

I'll post with my experiences and such as time goes on. But so far, it seems to "just work" as I'd expect it to.
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:45 pm
Thanks for all the replies.

So I manage to do a simple test on Ubuntu 16.04 with a binary T3D MIT version 3.10. Just the demo. Well that was a sluggish/snailish experience... :? :? :?

I did some research on the amd drivers for Ubuntu 16.04 and found out that... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver :idea:

I tested this demo game on an old Alienware m17x R2 with 8 gigs of ram, ATI Radeon Mobility 5870 1G and i7 920xm... :idea:

It would appear that many, many amd gpu drivers are not supported on Ubuntu 16.04 and that people recommend rolling back to 14.04 https://askubuntu.com/questions/815591/ ... d-graphics :geek:

since that "ou get to use fglrx and get the performance you want/need". :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Damn.... :shock: I mean that is rather disappointing... At least Ubuntu 14.04 is suported to around 2019.... :ugeek: :ugeek:

Well I guess I will have to try that out then....

Mitovo wrote:Well, I've recently moved over to Linux, having FINALLY found a Distro that I didn't only find "passable", but actually love using - which is Ubuntu Mate.

Anyway, I got Torque3D downloaded, having happily found there are binaries available for it (I thought I would have to compile it all myself, etc). It runs quite smoothly, about as I'd expect it. Haven't gotten into any real work with it, yet, but intend to. Just posted a thread asking if anyone knows of a good heightmap editor for Linux, as a matter of fact.

I'll post with my experiences and such as time goes on. But so far, it seems to "just work" as I'd expect it to.

@
Mitovo
which gpu are you using with that Ubuntu Mate distro?

Update: Some says that that the Oibaf's drivers should be working fine on older cards with Ubuntu 16.04 https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/u ... cs-drivers

UPDATE!!! I did the install of those Oibaf's drivers and they work very well.
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:02 pm
Now to something else. When I move around with the player in the demo he will not stop moving after I release the "w" button. Either that is a bad programming bug(thinking cyclic related issues here) or then something is weird. I mean I have never had that issues with action mapping before myself in any earlier version of Torque 3D.

None the less it seems that working/developing on Ubuntu 16.04 might be possible after all... Hopefully the editors will behave. Gonna do some more research on that as well.

Atomic IDE seems to be neat as a scripting tool.
Mitovo
by Mitovo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:56 pm
Dwarf King wrote:Thanks for all the replies.

@
Mitovo
which gpu are you using with that Ubuntu Mate distro?

Update: Some says that that the Oibaf's drivers should be working fine on older cards with Ubuntu 16.04 https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/u ... cs-drivers

UPDATE!!! I did the install of those Oibaf's drivers and they work very well.

I have a NVidia 970GTX.
Timmy
by Timmy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:14 am
Dwarf King wrote:Now to something else. When I move around with the player in the demo he will not stop moving after I release the "w" button. Either that is a bad programming bug(thinking cyclic related issues here) or then something is weird. I mean I have never had that issues with action mapping before myself in any earlier version of Torque 3D.

None the less it seems that working/developing on Ubuntu 16.04 might be possible after all... Hopefully the editors will behave. Gonna do some more research on that as well.

Show me your console.log, if you are not using the binary drivers from amd you won't be getting full hardware acceleration. Amd stopped developing their old binary drivers (fglrx) and re-wrote their linux drivers, they now have an opensource one called amdgpu and the proprietary driver is called amdgpu-pro, problem is they just abandoned a lot of older hardware with these new drivers. Unfortunately if you are going to seriously use linux, you need to use NVidia or late model amd cards. You can also as you suggested go back to using older distro's, i can't remember what version of xorg the old fglrx works with and what version the support stops at, i'm sure a google search will provide those details.

*Edit:
just watch out with ubuntu 14.04, the default gcc version will not work with the latest t3d, you will need a later version, not 100% sure if gcc 4.9.x works? but i know gcc 5.x+ does or you can also use clang.
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:42 pm
Timmy wrote:
Dwarf King wrote:Now to something else. When I move around with the player in the demo he will not stop moving after I release the "w" button. Either that is a bad programming bug(thinking cyclic related issues here) or then something is weird. I mean I have never had that issues with action mapping before myself in any earlier version of Torque 3D.

Show me your console.log, if you are not using the binary drivers from amd you won't be getting full hardware acceleration. Amd stopped developing their old binary drivers (fglrx) and re-wrote their linux drivers, they now have an opensource one called amdgpu and the proprietary driver is called amdgpu-pro, problem is they just abandoned a lot of older hardware with these new drivers. Unfortunately if you are going to seriously use linux, you need to use NVidia or late model amd cards. You can also as you suggested go back to using older distro's, i can't remember what version of xorg the old fglrx works with and what version the support stops at, i'm sure a google search will provide those details.

*Edit:
just watch out with ubuntu 14.04, the default gcc version will not work with the latest t3d, you will need a later version, not 100% sure if gcc 4.9.x works? but i know gcc 5.x+ does or you can also use clang.

Well I solved it. The shaders had to be set to normal under options(I guess my gpu is not that strong when dealing with OpenGL) and then it ran smooth and nice. Also the Oibaf's drivers are working out just fine I think but it also seems that the JUNIPER(at least that is what it calls my gpu under details, but when throwing lspci -nn | grep -E 'VGA|Display' in a terminal I get the ATI mobility 5870 ) chip set is fully supported(see here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver and scroll down to fully supported). Yeeaaaah! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The conclusion here is that the laptop works(which is good as I was starting to consider trying out LuBuntu http://lubuntu.me/ ). Now I am gonna see how the Windows 10 Pro desktop can be gutted and made into a Dual boot solution. It has a UEFI bios... damn... http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2015/1 ... gside.html

I also did a Unigine benchmark and test. As long as quality is set to normal and not high it runs very well on the ATI mobility 5870 1G card.

Anyway it really looks so promising this setup with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. With some work hopefully very soon Windows 10 and its Telemetry + all its damn hickups with privacy are to be history and will only be needed to be dealt with in case of porting for a short time.

The age of Windows 10 only is over.... Now the age of Ubuntu dual boot has arrived :ugeek:

However the ultimative goal is this only and no other OS unless ports are needed:
And hopefully with crossover or Wine I shall be able to reach that goal eventually.
Timmy
  by Timmy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:25 am
Dual boot is not too difficult, i run windows 10, linux and macOS on my machine, all run perfectly happy along side each other. I got an NVidia gpu, so luckily i get nice fast official drivers on all 3 of them :D Good luck with it all.
26 posts Page 1 of 3