[Done] Where should resources go?

LukasPJ

@Bloodknight proposed that resources were written into the Wiki instead of being an actual forum here. I think that makes a lot of sense, and could make more people aware of the Wiki.

I can change the "Resources" forum on the frontpage to just re-direct to a Wiki site, what do you other guys think of this idea?

I will never write a resource wiki, but will write phpBB recourses in the (near) future :D :D :D

Edit: Just keep it simple; don't throw in more systems when the people who write these resources are mostly busy people who have other things to do then learn how to help others.

I propose we keep posting resources on the forums and when they're mature enough resources where all the kinks are worked out, as in thoroughly tested and discussed in the resources post thread, then such a resource should be posted to the wiki by whomever is more willing to do so. And still keep the original post in the forums as a reference for more discussion in the future for cases when the resource fails to work properly on newer engine versions and needs to be fixed.

I agree. I suddenly had an epiphany and came here to ask why the heck we were adding a resources forum when we had a wiki, but having he forum as the 'development lab' for later finalisation on the wiki seems like a good approach, if anyone ever bothers to port things over to the wiki.

• 4 weeks later...

late to the party here, but the problem with forum based resources imo is the ability for the original resource to be repeatedly broken without the ability to fix the top post, so the community base of most wikis solves that problem, not sure theres an ideal solution but having to search through dozens of pages hoping to find a fix to the broken top post, is very much something i have always hated about GG forums.

Also t3d needs a stable file repository, since again, i caouldnt list the number of 'resources' on GG are liitle more *than this is awesome* but the link is broken, too bad.

@Bloodknight

You can attach a file to your post, so it will never 404 as long as the forums are running. :P

Also, you can edit the top-post but only mods and resource owner has that power. It's always possible to port the resource to the wiki afterwards if you want to make some changes I guess. I think the main point is that the guys who write resources, should have as low a barrier as possible. It should pretty much just be a page where they can write stuff and it magically appear as a resource!