"Store"

Feedback for the forum, wiki, landing page or the Github website
27 posts Page 1 of 3
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:02 pm
In the interest of giving folks with a primary monetary motivation an 'in', perhaps it wouldn't be untoward to throw in a subsection or 3 for engine extensions.

Say...

Open Projects (tipjar. this would be where folks that turn over their code with no strings link their paypal or patreon, ect for folks to toss in if they wish.)
Community Buyouts (Individual purchases, or funding campaigns with an agreed upon end-goal that flips it into a core feature)
Paid Extensions (What it says on the tin. Authors are responsible for maintaining their own codebases vs head, keeping assets up to date with any changes, ect)

Thoughts?
Last edited by Azaezel on Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:00 pm
Not a bad idea. Definitely would make sense to have an area that can focus on products and projects people could put cash towards without getting lost in the other sections of the forums.

Would it make sense to have an entire subforum for it? Or just a singular 'Assets and Products' area to make threads in?

Also, while it's a long way from being actually usable, I started tinkering with an actual storefront configuration, here

Theme needs work, and no doubt there's all kinds of limitations and issues with the software side, but it's an interesting investigative push into the area. I think we really could use a real asset store to better consolidate stuff people are working on and would like to sell.

It'd also be nice to have so the new Project Manager could hook into it and all those nice, fluffy convenience features.

If anyone's got knowledge on the webdev side, lemme know and I'd be willing to let them poke around at it, see if there's any woeful sorespots.
Dwarf King
  by Dwarf King » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:42 pm
I believe such a store would benefit us all. It will encourage people to be innovative and it creates solutions for developers who prefer to work on the game play and level design instead of inventing new solutions etc. In other words it would help us build an economic system around the engine and free as well as paid add ons and art would make the whole system evolve :D

Damn good idea! :D
Duion

by Duion » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:30 pm
I'm not so much a fan of a shop, for non essential things like art assets it may be fine, but engine enhancements should go into the main repository.

A subforum may be fine, where people can post their campaigns with link to their Indigogo, where people can pledge.
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:12 am
I'm in favor! For both code plugins/enhancements and art assets, as well as finished games, a working and active store system would be nothing but beneficial, if someone has the gumption to take it on. I would imagine there would have to be some kind of vetting for quality assurance though, which could turn into a major time commitment. But if it benefited lots of people then hopefully there would also be enough volunteer energy to make it work.
Timmy
by Timmy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:07 am
Yeah i think a store is a great idea both for art assets and code.
Johxz
by Johxz » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:29 pm
Is a good idea to have a store. But here is my opinion :lol: a lot of people don't like t3d for the torquescript right? but a lot of "new people" like t3d because is MIT and so on..... my point is that we can't please to everyone. But we need as community to find something in the middle :roll: have good free assets/stuff (ready for t3d) may be include in the template or in a repository separate... and of course the store.... give something to the people can begin with the engine and sell all the other stuff... like this we can at least decrease to both side the open source people and the capitalist people that only want is money :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (Joke)

Hope the point was understood :lol: and yes the store! :D

BTW I can help with the store...

Regards,
John
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:35 pm
Middleground that covers the range of interactions would be why the initial notion of havin 3 subsections. Suppose resources would make a 4th. Pretty much a code for code guy m'self, so no real dog in this hunt, but it does seem to be a conversation that needs havin. (also, updated the op for clarity on point 1)
Last edited by Azaezel on Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janders
by Janders » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:47 pm
A store like Unreal wen art packs and simple blueprints are sold it's good. But I fear that will not happen here, this is an open source project, sustained by the good will of it's contributors, put money in to the equation and you can guess what will happen. People will charge for all their stuff and stop contributing to the main repo, it's just 2+2, why i should do something for free wen i can earn money with it? So yeah, i think i made my point. :?
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:13 pm
@
Janders

It's a possibility, sure, but at the same time, people still contribute PRs to Unreal as well, and there are lots of people that just toss stuff up for free to the Unity store, even though it's possible to sell it on the store instead.

Some people just like contributing. It's possible that major, shifting features could become less common in the face of the opportunity to sell it, but there's definitely people that don't especially care about that, and practically no one is gunna try and sell a bugfix or the like, so at minimum, fixes and minor improvements would likely be just as common as they are now.

That said, as a whole, I think it's probably for the better to at least have that avenue. For people that aren't as comfortable with core development, such as Duion, being able to pay a bit of money to pick up a game code starter kit would make perfect sense, and that isn't the sort of thing that's likely to be rolled into the core repo.

Same could be said for a programmer that could make the game code, but needs some art and the like.

The only potential hangup a store could see is pertaining to major features implemented in the engine code side of things, and as I said above, I'm not sure that it'll be as drastic a shift as some may fear it is.
Especially if we have alternative payment methods like being able to hook to funding campaigns like what Rich has going or tip jars.

But there will always be some people that just like contributing stuff for free, either because they like the challenge, or want to make it so others don't have to deal with some crap they had to put up with, etc.

@
Johxz
and @
Azaezel

Yeah, the sub-forums thing Az kicked this off with is probably what we can go with as a compromise for the near-term until we can hash out the store enough that it works, since as I mention it's not there yet.
And even once the store DOES go up, those subforums can still be used to highlight products put up on the store, or freebie contributions/tip jar/buyout projects.
27 posts Page 1 of 3