"Store"

Feedback for the forum, wiki, landing page or the Github website
27 posts Page 2 of 3
Janders
by Janders » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:21 pm
@
JeffR

I'm a pessimist in those matters so, I hope you're right.
Last edited by Janders on Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johxz
by Johxz » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:24 pm
oh @
Janders
have a point... :? :| but we can management the both side... the old garagegames they had free and not free, blender3d has this too. For that my point still valid give something for free maintaining the spirit for open source enough so that it can be used at least for the prototyping phase and the others stuff sell it, people they will pay, why? because as @
JeffR
said the programmer will need to do the models/textures, etc, etc... and the art people the same thing for his logic of the gameplay and other stuff.... even people of either hahaha :D so they need something to start using the engine and will pay eventually
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:44 pm
Speaking strictly for myself, the main reasons I throw stuff on over (aside from the whole 'well, xyz is loosely based on freely offered examples, or yzx is really simple stuff) are

1) Code PRed is code I don't have to worry about re-merging. (time = moneh)
2) Code PRed is code with multiple folks looking for bugs on. (time = monehx2)
3) Code PRed has a higher probability of being extended by someone with a similar mindset than if it was locked in the company codebase. (time = monehx3)
Duion

by Duion » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:02 am
My whole point of people starting funding campaigns was to keep them away from selling their stuff in a store fashion so it can benefit the development of the engine.

If we are honest, people will not sell many items since there are not many Torque users, so instead of that better sell them through a funding campaign to make it open source, so people who want it will get it for sure and later it may become open source and benefit all.
oXYnary
by oXYnary » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:46 am
Stores are not easy to setup and manage. That said, I could see if for like premade art or game type assets and plugins that are from commercial sources, like some of those Voxel engines or network libraries.

For base engine contributions, it might help to have a separate area of this "store" for engine contributions. Where it can be a donation system that will allow people contributing code who would like to have some financial return to give to the engine. The caveats being, only if the donation goal amount is reached (no indiegogo where even if its not, they still get paid), and they must have a working version before they ask.
Timmy
by Timmy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:55 am
Personally i don't think a store will stop people contributing MIT code, it won't stop me contributing anyway. The only time i would consider selling a code add-on, is if it was highly specialized towards a certain genre/solving a very specific problem. It's code like this that would never make into the public repository anyway.
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:30 pm
@
Duion

So how many Torque 3D users are we left?

100? 200?

How many active members has this site?

Last(today) I checked the traffic at GG it has around between 100K to 110K monthly visits(numbers are from 2015 November).

However overall the Global rank, Country rank and Category rank has all dropped some(as expected with all the fail for free engines on the market now).

The GG site also has a bounce rate(sessions in which the person left your site from the entrance page without interacting with the page) of 70.5 procent

Direct hits are around 24 procent

Search around 65 procent

Social is around 1.4 procent

Then some referrals on like 9.28 procent

See here:
http://www.similarweb.com/website/garagegames.com

Majority of the visitors are from USA on like 30.31 procent.

So are we few left or do most of the users stay silent and just use the technology? I suspect that many users find forums to distract them from work and other stuff and therefore do not hang around on GG and other sites so much.

Even if we deduct 70.5 procent we still have 29.5(at most 32.45K monthly visits) procent interacting with the GG site. Some of them might not be users as well.

Perhaps we are not so few after all.... Alas fewer than we used to be...

Happy new year to all of you :D
Duion

by Duion » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:07 pm
Clicks do not say much about how many active users there are.
You have to consider we are talking about a game engine here and game development has a very high entrance barrier.
To get started in game development you need to either be an experienced programmer or an experienced artist or better both, each discipline will take you years to learn and to get good at and even then you still will need month or years to get good with the game engine also.
So your initial estimate of 100-200 is likely more correct, the core contributors are more like around 10 people.
The other pseudo-free engines are only successful because they target what I call the dreamers, mostly young people who think they can make a game, grab an engine, realize they don't get anything done and buy some stuff in their store and then still never get anything done.
So after all of that they can show high numbers of "active" users, but this is kind of faked numbers, the real active and productive community members are always far lower.
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:47 pm
Duion wrote:Clicks do not say much...
consider we are talking about a game engine here...
game development has a very high entrance barrier....
experienced programmer or an experienced artist or better both....
The other pseudo-free engines are only successful because they target what I call the dreamers....

Bad vibes from that post. I sense the dark force in you :lol:

Well I second the store as I find the idea fine.
HeadClot
by HeadClot » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:29 pm
I would recommend using itch.io
27 posts Page 2 of 3