27 posts Page 3 of 3
Duion

by Duion » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:25 am
itch.io is for hipsters.
HeadClot
by HeadClot » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:35 pm
Duion wrote:itch.io is for hipsters.

Ok, here is why I suggested Itch.io

1. It would give Torque 3D more exposure than just putting up an standard storefront on this site. I am unsure how many people are aware of torque 3D anymore. Itch.io could give a good boost to torque 3d.
2. It would act as a centralized place for us to get assets, projects, and the like from.
3. Everything they are doing is open source from the client to the server software. So If we wanted to do our own store front for torque we could do that.
4. We do not have to host a store front which will up the cost of hosting this site.
Duion

by Duion » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:25 pm
I don't see what you want to use itch.io for, it seems to be mainly for mobile and 2D games and even if you want to distribute assets, you can do that now already, there is nothing keeping you back.
Johxz
by Johxz » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:22 pm
hey hi, here is a list of stores, some what related to the main topic: http://forums.torque3d.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=799&p=6576#p6576

maybe what say @
HeadClot
is right using https://itch.io/ or here is another alternative https://gumroad.com/
Bloodknight
by Bloodknight » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:39 pm
I think tbh the best thing to do would be to start with an asset store, modeled somewhat after opengameart but with a requirement that packs come 'torque ready' so that they become easily usable for novices. I would also recommend that in the beginning at least while the repository gains 'stock' that the requirement starts of non-commercial. Expansion to commercial and alternate categories could be added relatively easily.

Also, it has to be noted that my base pessimist nature has to make comments about the insane levels of lawyerised bullshit around software licences and image copyrights emanating from the USA which makes even a free 'store' something of a logistical and legal nightmare in some respects
kent
by kent » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:38 pm
The problem is that Torque already has a store - just nobody can buy anything from it.

Garage Games was pretty brutal about making sure anything Torque would be sold on the GG platform. Distributing *any* code outside the GG-login controlled system was potentially grounds for having a license terminated. In retrospect the whole thing was absurd - GG wouldn't even let TGE licensees see resources based on TGB and vice versa. That's why nobody ever did anything like write a Torque-based article about modern terrain techniques at Gamasutra. Talk about reducing visibility!

Some folks tried to get around it and sell independently by starting a thread on the registered forum that a purchaser would then make a post to and verify license that way. But generally speaking most devs with anything marketable just sold through Garage Games - while the lesser stuff was submitted as a (now deleted) resource. So everything that existed up to whenever GG decided to pull the plug is locked to that platform or gone.

The bulk of the Torque ecosystem (including the store) rests with a group that's off giving Lua seminars to Canadian schoolkids - or some such nonsense - and seemingly don't give a hoot about Torque anymore. So it's really worse than needing a store. We're trying to rebuild an entire decade's worth of ecosystem that Garage Games ferociously controlled (and to some degree clearly still does) yet has deleted and/or left fractured while they're off doing more important things.

It's a bit of a pickle. And honestly it makes Torque appear to be damn near dead.
Duion

by Duion » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:56 am
The problem is that everyone seems to ignore the work of other people and what is already there.
People still wait for someone "official" do to something, but there are no more official people caring about Torque3D, we are the official people now.
Resources can simply be posted here in the forum or whereever you want now.
And regarding the "store" this will likely never work out in the old way, since Torque does not have a big consumer base of "dreamers" who will occasionally buy something, but are not serious about game development, since that is what the stores of other engines mainly live from.

Regarding the store I already have something like that for around 2 years now:
http://duion.com/art/main
I share my art there, all licensed under the extremely liberal CC0 license. It can be used as a multi user site as well, but I had relatively few contributions by others yet.
Maybe people ignore it, since they don't want to be associated with me since of their personal problems with me or whatever irrational behavior they have.

I'm pretty much the only producer of open source art that is game ready for Torque3D at the moment.
So you either do it yourself and/or use what is already there or wait for something that will never happen, as most people are doing for around 3 years now.
27 posts Page 3 of 3