Axis problems with rigged makehuman models through blender->dae

Level design, models, animations, physics, etc.
28 posts Page 2 of 3
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:49 pm
 
by JeffR » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:19 pm
In blender, take care to make sure that your mesh and armature have any rotation and location changes 'applied'. Having the transforms at non-0 can look fine in blender, but yield really weird results in-game.

Just the other day I was testing character models/rigs and had the guy turn into a spindly slenderman horror-beast because the mesh had been rotated and the armature hadn't, and it tried to 'compensate'.
chriscalef
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:48 pm
by chriscalef » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:02 pm
Ah, thanks Jeff, that sounds like we might be getting warmer. Although it's weird because I haven't made any changes at all in makehuman, with the exception of playing with the sliders and picking a skeleton. And thanks for looking up your details, Duion! Trying again...
Duion
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:51 am
 
by Duion » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:32 pm
My character has -180 degree rotation on the Z axis, works fine.
chriscalef
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:48 pm
by chriscalef » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:42 pm
So, is this "applying changes" step something that is done in makehuman, or is it in blender?
chriscalef
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:48 pm
by chriscalef » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:45 pm
@
User avatar
Duion
, so there's literally nothing else you did in makehuman or in blender, relevant to this problem, besides the -180 degree rotation? Because I am literally just opening up makehuman now, taking the default character, giving it a default skeleton, exporting a collada file, opening that collada file in blender, either rotating or not rotating it 180 degrees, and exporting as collada. Result every time is a slenderman horror beast.

I'm on makehuman 1.1.0, blender 2.71, just for reference.

Oh, and, results are the same exporting to blender using mxh2 format, as well.
chriscalef
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:48 pm
by chriscalef » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:21 pm
Ah, here's some slight progress anyway... in blender, I went to the "Set Origin: Geometry to Origin" option, and found that when I did that, both the mesh and the skeleton centered themselves on the origin, but the skeleton was offset by some distance (a foot or so, in human terms):

Image

However, the result of exporting and importing this into Torque was, while not perfect, visibly quite a bit better:

Image

As you can see, the slenderman monster on the right actually has some amount of bodily integrity, when compared to the nightmare creature on the left. Hmmm.
Duion
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:51 am
 
by Duion » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:43 pm
What version are you using? Maybe they introduced some bugs. I used version 1 for my character. Try that and see if the issue is there as well.
chriscalef
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:48 pm
by chriscalef » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:50 pm
Huh, well I gotta go AFK for the day, but if anyone who has this working could possibly take the time to recheck their process, I'd sure appreciate it!

There must be some additional step I'm not doing, because I'm certainly not doing any extra steps to mess it up. As mentioned above, I literally just

1) open makehuman,
2) click on a skeleton for the default figure, and
3) export,

and then in blender, I just

1) export to collada.

I'm guessing I'm probably only missing one all-important click somewhere, but rotating 180 definitely isn't it. (I'm sure it's also necessary, but not causing my main slenderman problem.)

Re: version, yeah, I'll try to backtrack versions next.

Thanks for everybody's patience though! Definitely looking forward to having this pipeline hooked up!
chriscalef
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:48 pm
by chriscalef » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:12 pm
Hmm, okay now I really gotta go, but I did go back and test it with makehuman 1.02, with same results. What version of Blender are you using, Duion?
chriscalef
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:48 pm
by chriscalef » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:41 pm
AHHHH, OMFG.

Very sorry for any wasted time anyone spent thinking about my little problem here, because I just realized it was, once again, entirely my own fault. :-P

Turns out it was an artifact of some changes I myself made to my build's collada import process, way back in 2011, for the purpose of fixing a problem related to playing animations on imported collada figures. The problem stemmed from the way stock Torque "fixes" handedness on incoming collada models.

I say "fixes", because the stock method is simply to rotate the figure from Y up to Z up, without changing the actual left/right handedness of the nodes. Sorry I can't explain it better right now but the end result was that if I had a bunch of animations made for a right handed Torque character, and then I brought in a left handed Collada model with the exact same bone structure, I would expect to be able to play my anims on this collada model, but they did not work as expected.

My hackish attempt to fix it involved flipping handedness on all the nodes individually, instead of just rotating the model, and it worked at the time for my limited application, but clearly it is puking its guts out on these makehuman/blender models.

No idea why it took me so long to think of trying a stock Torque build (doh!), but the idea *finally* occurred to me, and sure enough:

Image

Perfect.

So, anyway, some work to do on my end sorting out whether it's possible to fix my original problem without causing this other problem, but at least the issue is resolved, and nobody but me needs to worry about it. :-) Thanks for all the hand holding anyway!
28 posts Page 2 of 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests