WorldMachine pipeline

Level design, models, animations, physics, etc.
25 posts Page 3 of 3
rlranft

by rlranft » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:05 pm
If you're not getting the bumps then the terrain resolution has to be different and the "spikes" are being averaged out. The data is what it is. In T3D the terrain is pulled in as one pixel = one terrain vertex. I'm not familiar enough with UE4's terrain system to tell you why it would look different, but it really shouldn't and I'm surprised that it does.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:50 pm
you would be best seeing if you can increase the number of vertexes and triangles and see if it fixes the issue, other than that i think unity and unreal are using voxel based terrains, they have all updated their source code to take advantage of geometry shaders aswell and use more levels of tessellation than torque can because of the whole dx9 thing
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:34 pm
have a look at this

http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/22324

Bill says he implemented PolyVox for the terrains there and you can clearly tell they have a far higher vertex count than what torque allows out of the box, but again he had to create a whole terrain class from scratch so he could do this

I would actually like to see something like this make its way in to the default build to be fair its pretty darn cool :D
saindd
by saindd » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:41 am
I've tested on Unity 4, btw, which doesn't have DX9. I'm pretty sure this is something dumb with limits or something like that in the terrain class itself. I'll mess around with it.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:48 am
higher versions of DX make use of geometry shaders which in tun bring with them better dynamic tessellation that you just cant do with dx9 as far as i know. but seriously check out Bills blog that i linked you to above to see some of the features he was able to code into the engine with the help of a library called polyvox. This library brings with it many features that would help bridge the gap
25 posts Page 3 of 3